DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   XLR of preamp simply pushing straight back?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/478856-xlr-preamp-simply-pushing-straight-back.html)

David Barnett May 17th, 2010 01:07 PM

XLR of preamp simply pushing straight back??

I have a Shure MX185, pretty standard mic. Well, when I first got it I had read on here about adjusting the volume on it, or changing it from omni to cardiod etc by simply opening it up & making some adjustments. (Big mistake!!) . Well, now that I have it back together when I try to connect it to an XLR cable it simply pushes back deeper into the preamp, and doesn't connect. After trying very hard to tighten everything & make sure everythings correct, my own curiousity got to me & I tested another one and pushed the male inputs back, and sure enough it also went straight back fairly easily..

What do I do to reset there?? Is this common that if you wanted you can simply push the male ends back? I'm pretty sure it's far back enough to where it isn't even connecting to the female end.

Thanks,

Manuel Correa May 17th, 2010 04:48 PM

Shure Preamp module

Hello David

OK, I'm not sure exactly what you did, but it sounds like all did not go well.

As far as I am aware of, you cannot open this unit, the preamp module, to adjust the volume, there is no provision for that. In addition there is no adjustment to the preamp to change it from omni to cardioid by simply opening it up and making some adjustments. The only reason to open the preamp module is to remove the miniature TA4F 4 pin connector and permanently wire your lavalier microphone cable to it.

The MX185 is a cardioid cartridge lavalier microphone. Only the microphone cartridge itself can be changed to transform it to an Omni or Super cardioid lavalier.

I take it that it is the other end, the standard 3 pin XLR section that is moving? If so, take a close look at the barrel on that end of the preamp module. You should see a very small set screw. This screw MUST align with the hole in the circuit board in order to keep the circuit board from moving. You may have to twist the circuit board to get the hole to align with the screw.

If you have not wired the microphone cable permanently to the circuit board, the TA4F connector is still in place. You must reinsert the HEX screw you removed from the cap that covers the TA4F connector when you opened up the unit. Both screws must be in place to keep everything together.

The HEX screw is not used ONLY when permanently wiring the microphone cable to the preamp upon reassembly.

Well, I hope this helps and gets you back in service.

Manuel

Richard Crowley May 17th, 2010 09:08 PM

Not exactly clear WHAT is "pushing back"? Is it the plastic insert with the three XLR pins?

On many of these there is a set-screw opposite the center pin. On Switchcraft plugs, this set screw is actually left-hand threaded so that when you screw it "in" clockwise, it comes OUT of the insert and engages the hole in the side of the case.

Did you remove this XLR 3-pin insert? Is it held in place with a set screw? Is the screw still there?

David Barnett May 18th, 2010 08:28 AM

Rich,

I called Shure yesterday & you're absolutely right. It was the set screw. However I had been trying & trying to loosen it but couldn't, so I thought myb that wasn't the issue. But again YES you're right, it is reverse threading, so I was instead tightening it, not loosening it.

Thanks,

BTW- yes it was the 3 XLR pins pushing back. Essentially the whole guts too along with it.