Sound recorder recommendation wanted - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM   #46
New Boot

Oade Brothers R-44 Super Mod

I also looked at the R-44 (modded by Oade Brothers). Its' a nice unit, but I couldn't justify the extra bucks for two more channels. Here's the link:

Ordering for Oade Brothers Audio: Edirol R44 Super MOD- Ground Shipping

Regards,

Dan.
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #47
Major Player

I suggested the R-44 because it's the best value, and has the cashe recording. Eventually everyone needs more than 2 channels. If you can do without cashe recording, and don't mind fiddling with menus, the H4N has XLR inputs, stereo recording, and is cheap. It's nowhere near the sound quality of the R-44, but it's cheap, and that's what people want first and foremost.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:16 PM   #48
New Boot

Chad,

I don't think cheap is what all people want. I can't speak for Annie, but I have NO interest in cheap and no interest in the H4n.

At $679, the Oade Bros modified PMD661 isn't cheap and the sound quality is supposed to be excellent. Not super expensive perhaps, but not cheap either.

IMO, both the R-44 and PMD-661 are very good quality recorders. Right now, I don't see the need for the R-44's extra channels. Perhaps in the future.

Regards,

Dan.
Dan Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:54 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
I suggested the R-44 because it's the best value, and has the cashe recording. Eventually everyone needs more than 2 channels. If you can do without cashe recording, and don't mind fiddling with menus, the H4N has XLR inputs, stereo recording, and is cheap. It's nowhere near the sound quality of the R-44, but it's cheap, and that's what people want first and foremost.
Chad I don't agree either .. what people want is value for money, they always have.

What ever it is, if they want it they'll pay a relatively expensive price if they recognise it's value. And not everybody will ever want more than 2 channels or 2 tracks either.

Cheers.
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:09 AM   #50
Inner Circle

Fostex FR2-LE

Just stumbled upon this thread. If it helps Annie, here is my take on the Fostex FR2-LE. Sure it's not perfect and I wish it was smaller but I certainly get very acceptable audio from it for the (mostly corporate) work I do. I think it's a great step into the world of professional audio gear, even if it's on the bottom rung of that ladder. I can't comment on the other models mentioned in this thread as I don't own any of them (I own a Zoom H2.... which is best left out of this discussion!)

FOSTEX FR2-LE MINI REVIEW
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #51
Major Player

Don and Alan - I hear you. And I hadn't considered the PMD661, which is actually only 600.00 if you don't go for the mod. That's a good middle between the H4N and the R-44. I am frustrated with the rather large number of people who have a number like 200.00 - 300.00 in their heads and do indeed go for the bare minimum gear, when if they just put a little more into their budget planning they could have a nice piece of gear that they won't need to replace. There was a guy who got his Rode Video mic stolen and wanted a replacement for 100.00 - 200.00 but was better than the Rode VM. Everyone was encouraging him to upgrade his budget just a little and wrote ling posts with dissertations on value, and not cheaping out etc, then he just went for the Rode VM again, or something cheaper. You try to help people... I should probably take a break from the audio forums, but I keep pulling myself back in when I read someone needing help, then not listening.

You guys are right, people do want value. But SOME people just want cheap too.
Old September 26th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #52
Regular Crew

What quality of audio willl a H4N in a controlled environment with a decent mic provide?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio