DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   is h4n really good? Can't be H4? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/479025-h4n-really-good-cant-h4.html)

Jason Ko May 19th, 2010 10:41 PM

is h4n really good? Can't be H4?

I've recently bought canon t2i(550D). However, the internal mic is horrible so I've searched website and Zoom H4N seems popular recorder... While I was searching recorder and mic (I was looking for rode videomicat first), I found Azden sgm-2x(~$180) and shure vp64(~$70) mic and Azden 300UPR wilreless mic (~$400) for only $250 on craigslist.

Now, I have 4 mics and no recorder!!! I need a recorder which should have at least 2 xlr inputs, but H4N is $300 and I don't wanna spend that much for the recorder. So I've found a new H4(older version of H4n) for just $100 on ebay.

Would Azden sgm-2x and H4 combo would be bad choice? I'll be mainly use Sgm-2x, but I'll be also video shooting small acts(about 10 min long) and interviews for church. so the wireless would come in handy...

how mucht portion should i invest money on? 50:50 mic/recorder? 70:30 mic/recorder? or 30:70 mic/recorder?

Pete Cofrancesco May 19th, 2010 10:58 PM

I just upgraded my H4 to a H4N. The H4 wasn't giving poor audio rather the interface was so terrible (too many to list), and it recorded at a slower rate, getting ridiculously out of sync with my camera during long continuous recordings. So if these issues don't bother you by all means save yourself the money.

Jason Ko May 20th, 2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1529051)
I just upgraded my H4 to a H4N. The H4 wasn't giving poor audio rather the interface was so terrible (too many to list), and it recorded at a slower rate, getting ridiculously out of sync with my camera during long continuous recordings. So if these issues don't bother you by all means save yourself the money.

i've seen people complain about off sync, but if they lower to 99% speed, it be reoslved? I don't care about sync since the camcorder can't record more than 4 mins. How's quality of H4n over H4? Did you find major difference?

Jordan Block May 20th, 2010 12:26 AM

I'd be a whole lot more concerned about the azden gear than the older h4. If you can swing an NTG-1 or 2 or the AT875r, go for one of those.

Pete Cofrancesco May 21st, 2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Ko (Post 1529069)
i've seen people complain about off sync, but if they lower to 99% speed, it be reoslved? I don't care about sync since the camcorder can't record more than 4 mins. How's quality of H4n over H4? Did you find major difference?

Like I said the audio is fine even the internal mics are good and compared to the audio you'd get off your camera you will be blown away. The only thing you have to watch out for is if you don't monitor the audio the pre amps can get overloaded if the sound is loud and you have the preamp gain set wrong.

Dan Brockett May 21st, 2010 06:52 PM

Jason:

Your camera can record up to 4GB at a time, not 4 minutes, unless I have read something that is incorrect. But I know that is true of both my 5D MKII and the 7D so it stands to reason that the T2i also has the same capacity. 4GB can last 10 minutes or 29 minutes, it depends on the motion and movement in the scene.

I have the H4N and it has been babied and the screen has cracked and I have read of several people having those microphones on the top break off with hardly any pressure put on them. It sounds just okay, not great. Better than the camera, but anything would sound better than the camera. Best idea is to buy something better quality to record audio but that takes a lot more money too.

Dan

Pete Cofrancesco May 21st, 2010 09:01 PM

To be fair, he's interested in the H4, which has metal guards around the internal mics.

Sherif Choudhry May 22nd, 2010 04:34 AM

fostex fr2 le

this fostex is more costly than the H4n, but has IMHO better pre-amps, and is battery operated, for field recording

Fostex FR2-LE Portable CF Field Recorder | DV247

your ratio question is interesting

If my budget is $500, then a i would suggest a rode ntg2 and h4n for location recording, ratio = 1:4

If my budget is $1000 then i would suggest a rode ntg3 and fostex fr2le, ratio = 50:50

If my budget is $2000 I suggest a Sennheiser 416 plus a sound devices mixpre 2 channel plus a fostex fr2, ratio = 50:50

hmmm..... seems to indicate at lower budgets means you can get away with spending less on the mic, but at higher budgets the mic price should equal the pre-amp and recorder budget; go figure....

Adam Gold May 22nd, 2010 11:47 AM

Sherif, I'm not following your math on the first ratio example. If the budget is around $500, then an NTG-2 and an H4n is also about a 50/50 ratio, as both are in the $250-$300 range.

Dan Brockett May 23rd, 2010 08:15 PM

Right Pete, but the old H4 doesn't sound as good or have as good a features as the H4N. But at least it does have the mic protector bars...

Nicole Hankerson May 25th, 2010 02:03 AM

Stay away from Azden products. The Zoom H4 and H4N both are great. I have used both of them and sound has came out great BUT that depends on your mic, operator, settings, etc. I'm a sound person so I know what all needs to be done(not saying you don' t just speaking in general). I like the H4N better its way more improved and the menu keys are easier to navigate but in all honesty if you could I would suggest the Fostex FR-2LE is a great recorder and I got mines used for $299 with tons of accessories. But if you buy the H4N you won't be making a bad decision. I suggest you buy from Zzounds they will match any competitor price and also you can make 4 easy payments so at least you can own the machine make some money off of it and then pay off the balance. Your choice. (note:your total would need to be 349 or more or you could look at www.sweetwater.com as well.)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMH4N

Nicole