Monitoring headphones for outside production - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Monitoring headphones for outside production

I own the HD 280 Pro headphones and haven't tried the other models.

- Isolation
I recently read a string of posts from a guy who was multitracking vocals with Sony 7506s and was unhappy with the bleed. He bought the Senns and the problem was solved. I figure if the bleed out is better, the bleed in is probably better too!

- Flat/natural sound
I found the Senns to be the flattest of those I tested. The low bass is limited. The mid bass might be a touch high. But the bass response will vary based on the shape of your ears. Try them for yourself, if possible.

- Build quality/comfort.
I like the build quality. They are stiff and tight at first, but break in before long. I have a pair at home and another at work.
Old June 7th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post

I use what I recommend....here's me slapping on a pair

Sanken, RODE, Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Da Cappo microphones on Vimeo
Thanks for posting your video, one of the best I have seen and excellent quality.

I do a lot of screen shot tutorials, which means I have to sit close to the computer , and of course this also means I pick up a lot of the fan noises etc. (It's not practical to re-locate the computer).

At the moment I am using a Rode NTG-2, which has a fair amount of rejection, but not enough. I recently purchased the Rode NT1a but it is so over sensitive that I have not used it at all.

I am considering the Audio Technica BPHS-1 headset have you tried this set, or do you have any view on this?
Old June 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iker Riera View Post
reviving an old thread because i'm in need of some new headphones. I'm trying to keep the price under $150 if possible. I'm currently torn between the classic Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and the newer Audio Technica ATH-M50 which seem to have great reviews everywhere i look. The HD 280 Pro also look like a good option.

Anyone has experience with thesemodels that they can share? I'll be using them mostly to monitor dialog while recording and some of the most important factors for me are:

- Isolation
- Flat/natural sound
- Build quality/comfort.

I'd appreciate any help or comments :)
This looks like exactly the same question I answered in another forum - so I won't repeat it here unless you want me to.
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hello Iker:

I know out of your range but wanted to mention the Remote Audio HN-7506 High Noise Headset available through Trew Audio, made from the guts of the Sony 7506 (which I own and have gotten used to). They are pricey ($285) which is MUCH higher than your budget but I justified them as a way to protect my hearing over time. If it protects me from hearing loss, thus allowing me to work longer, well worth it. They help tremendously in isolating from external noises allowing you to monitor audio at a lower volume (no more smushing the headphones against your head).

Just my $0.02..

Quote:
reviving an old thread because i'm in need of some new headphones. I'm trying to keep the price under $150 if possible. I'm currently torn between the classic Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and the newer Audio Technica ATH-M50 which seem to have great reviews everywhere i look. The HD 280 Pro also look like a good option.

Anyone has experience with thesemodels that they can share? I'll be using them mostly to monitor dialog while recording and some of the most important factors for me are:

- Isolation
- Flat/natural sound
- Build quality/comfort.

I'd appreciate any help or comments :)
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #20
Regular Crew

thanks i'll keep those in mind too but i'm really trying to not go too much over $150ish right now. Thanks for the recommendation anyway :)
Iker Riera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #21
Regular Crew

No problem - figured so since it was way out of your range. Just trying to help protect the hearing of myself and folks out there. :)

Good luck!

Quote:
thanks i'll keep those in mind too but i'm really trying to not go too much over $150ish right now. Thanks for the recommendation anyway :)
Dan Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #22
New Boot

I've vote for the AKG, k271 or k171. Both are great. k171 is lighter, but the earpads are smaller and design to press you ears, while the k271 can seems to 'cover them all', but they are both very comfortable.

I had my k271 for about 7 years now and still using it for mostly SCP/ENG work. The earpad materials are really good - feels like leather, they take sweat/moist/dust/sun incredibly well. I had others headphone in between and most of them earpads doesn't last, including the k141, so as AKG advise a studio headphone, it is a studio heaphone and a TV production series is a TV production series.

I love both k171 and k271... ithe MkII versions comes with 2 cables and it's really great!
Ahmad Husni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #23
Regular Crew

quick update, i ended up getting the HD 380s because i found them for a price too good to pass up. Being using them for a couple hours listening to some music, clips i had on the pc, etc. and so far they seem like a good choice. Build quality is good and light and the earpads are very comfortable.

I'll be shooting next week at a club to see how they really perform when it matters. Thanks for everything :)
Iker Riera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio