Monitoring headphones for outside production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 20th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitoring headphones for outside production

Hi,

Just wondering what headphones folks are using to monitor audio either from camera or audio mixer for outside production?

Thanks.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Major Player

The industry standard (certainly in the UK and most of Europe) is the Sennheiser HD 25-1 (now HD 25-1 II).

Low impedance, closed back and *very* efficient - so it gives a good level even from weak headphone amplifiers; and as you therefore keep the gain lower, it maximises battery life.

I have had my own pair for 20 years - they are still going strong with regular use. All I have had to do is to replace the earpads a few times as they wear out with use.

Highly recommend.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks so much for the advice. It's one of the models I've had in mind. :-)
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Video industry standard in the U.S. is (mostly) the Sony MDR-7506.

This has a mid-range boost that reveals quite a bit about dialog. It doesn't provide as much isolation as the Senn. It's moderately sensitive - some prosumer camcorders may not provide enough gain at the headphone output. It packs up more compactly than the Senn.

I tend to use the 7506 on voice recording, and the Senn on music projects, but most other locals here use the 7506 exclusively.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Inner Circle

On this side of the pond, the Sony 7506 seems to be the most popular for field production. Check out competitive closed-back models from AKG, Audio Technica, Beyer, Sennheiser, Shure, Ultrasone. Try on different models, physical comfort is a factor if you will be wearing them for long periods of time. Expect to pay at least $100USD.

This may be of interest: Pro-Audio Review did a HP shoot-out in the April 2010 issue.
Studio-oriented opinions, but the contenders would be suitable for field production. They bench tested them as well.
Headphones
Bench Test
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #6
Trustee

the 7506 is more of a me too model. they have not a lot of isolation. check out the senn HD280's for the same price. 30db of isolation, more neutral sound. they also stay on your head
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes the MDR-7506 are industry standards here in the USA but the Sennheiser HD280's are used by some as well. I love the MDR-7506 headphones but the Senn does have a better fit imho.

Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #8
DVCreators.Net

+1 on the HD25-1-II's.

Great isolation, and they ship with the velour replacement pads for added comfort. These pack up easier with their smaller size, and another handy feature not really talked about is that one side can swivel up. Sure they cost twice as much as the 7506's or HD280 pro headphones, but if you're using them for 10+ years, the difference becomes pennies a day. Every customer that we have had that purchased them in person has remarked about how much they preferred the HD25-1-II's over whatever else they had previously been using.

The HD25-1-II's seem to be much more popular around the globe rather than in the US. Some may complain about the caliper pressure initially, but after you get the right fit and with a bit of use, they become comfortable for extended periods.

I like having a pair of cans that I can use to edit with in the studio, listen to music/movies on the plane, and still rely on them for critical sound on-set. The tonal quality has to really be heard in person to be appreciated. I used to use 7506's for so many years that the black padding was eroding so much so that I was constantly finding crap on my face when I looked in the mirror, or someone would say, "Hey, you got something on your face right here" pointing to where the headphones had been on all day. I actually dig those garfield softies now. If you do go with 7506's get a pair of those.

I use what I recommend....here's me slapping on a pair

Old May 25th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #9
Trustee

I use the 7506 as do most of the production sound guys I work with. I have worked with some that use the HD280's. Both very capable and work well.

Hey Guy, that's my mic!. Thanks for getting it to me so quickly. Great doing business with you.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #10
DVCreators.Net

Hey Garrett,

That is your shotgun mic in the video. It's famous! I'm glad you're enjoying it and it's really great to see that she has gone to a loving new home, although now I think I'm going through CS3e withdrawals and may need visitation rights lol. Seriously though, enjoy that mic. It's one of the best on the planet.

I also used to use the HD280 Pro headphones often over the past 4-5 years, we have a few pairs floating around in our kits. They have stood up very well. I think they look a bit dorky, but hey, we're not in this for looks right? :)
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
the 7506 is more of a me too model. they have not a lot of isolation. check out the senn HD280's for the same price. 30db of isolation, more neutral sound. they also stay on your head
The Senn HD 380 Pro are about the same price as the 280 and fold flat and come with a zip case.

But none of these have the high efficiency that the HD 25-1 does.
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #12
New Boot

Another recommendation for the Sennheiser HD280, especially for outdoor work or noisier environments. They are not as sensitive as the HD 25-1 II but they do have better isolation. I have both in my bag, and the HD 25s are fantastic, but I seem to find myself reaching for the 280s more often than not when working outside...
Brad Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #13
DVCreators.Net

Not to add too much confusion, but we may as well lay it all out - In the same $99 range is the Shure SRH440
Shure Americas | SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones

and the Audio Technica ATH-M50's
Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-M50s : Professional Studio Monitor Headphones (with straight cable)

Any opinions on these vs the HD280's and the 7506's?

Also, against the $199 HD25-1-II's would be the new Shure 840's
Shure Americas | SRH840 Professional Monitoring Headphones

Any other great models worth mentioning?
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Remote Audio HN-7506 High Noise Headset.
Not cheap (285usd) but I 'hear' isolation is very good and sound very close to the stock 7506.
Allegedly, "Seals off outside ambiance by as much as 45dB".
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Re: Monitoring headphones for outside production

reviving an old thread because i'm in need of some new headphones. I'm trying to keep the price under $150 if possible. I'm currently torn between the classic Sennheiser HD 280 Pro and the newer Audio Technica ATH-M50 which seem to have great reviews everywhere i look. The HD 280 Pro also look like a good option.

Anyone has experience with thesemodels that they can share? I'll be using them mostly to monitor dialog while recording and some of the most important factors for me are:

- Isolation
- Flat/natural sound
- Build quality/comfort.

I'd appreciate any help or comments :)
Iker Riera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio