Hissing and Loud Pop / Crack noise w/ G2 Wireless mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Hissing and Loud Pop / Crack noise w/ G2 Wireless mic

I've used this mic for many years and now it's giving me issues.

Every so often I get this loud pop or crack noise and the hissing is continuous.

I've added a sample from a wedding I did with this problem.

I used a Canon Vixia HF20 with a wireless receiver and transmitter. The day was really windy.

I had the transmitter down to -20db.

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have a similar problem

I've got the same G2 wireless rig and I experience similar problems. The cause that I identified is the plug that connects (and screws down) to the transmitter belt pack. The connector doesn't seem to be very well made and I think mine may have a short because the slightest bit of flex in that connector (it's plastic, after all!) sets off a lot of the same hissing and popping that you experience. There may be other issues, but that's one that I can verify. I may get a new mic...you may want to consider the same.

Peace out.
Terry
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Terry for the quick response. I've just decided to get something that will last.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Kelly, from what I've heard around the forum, if you're going "up," so to speak, then it's time for Lectrosonics. Excellent build quality--and will definitely last!

Good luck in your search!
TW
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Trustee

The only time in 6 years of using my G2's that I heard what you describe, I was in a nasty RF heavy environment.
It was a Christmas concert for kids who were in the hospital over the holidays. The area I was set up in was pretty empty. Sound check went fine. Once the show started though, a bunch of the kids were in beds with wireless telemetry. It was a nightmare for about 5 minutes as I switched to wired as the audience watched.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak View Post
I had the transmitter down to -20db.
I'm using a G3 with an HF200. Similar setup.

What I found is that the preamps in the HV200 are pretty noisy. My first attempts where to leave the mic levels on the camera to automatic and turn down the gain on the wireless. This resulted in pretty lousy audio -- very hissy. Turns out that the camera defaults work well for the internal mics (well, duh) but not external mics.

What I do now is leave the wireless gain at the factory default, and manually set the gain on the camera way down. The meter on the Camera shows me about -12dB peaks. This results in a signal that's considerably above the camera pre's noise floor, and really good quality audio.

Clearly YMMV. As to the pops and cracks. Too many possibilities to list. Since the unit is fairly old, something to consider is the microphone cable. Lavalier mics often see fairly rough treatment with lots of twisting and turning of their thin cables. It's conceivable that one or more of the cable strands have broken and occasionally make contact with the shield. Could also be a connector problem as another poster suggested. Nine out of ten problems with electrical systems come down to connections and cables in my experience.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for all your input.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Major Player

If you have an iffy cable - ie: the cable is breaking as it goes into the plug - then it's easy to fix. Just change the plug.

Also - make sure the plug is screwed down properly as a loose plug will also cause crackling.

Otherwise - other possible solutions have already been said.

But if it's worked for ages and only started now, I suspect the cable has been damaged.

The MKE 2-ew is a good replacement for the standard ME 2 - and the cable is a lot tougher on the MKE 2, as well as getting a much better mic.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The MKE 2-ew is a good replacement for the standard ME 2 - and the cable is a lot tougher on the MKE 2, as well as getting a much better mic.
much MUCH better mic! my personal favorite for a lav as a matter of fact...

i also bought the MZA900P units so i can use the MKE-2EW as a wired or wireless mic.

bad connections can be a big problem sometimes. to know for sure, wiggle the mic connector at the transmitter body to see if you can make the noise happen. disconnect the mic from the transmitter and see if the crackle goes away. if so if is probably a bad connector on the mic. replace or repair. if the noise persists with the mic disconnected, you will have to check the receiver end as well. try plugging ipod earbuds into the receiver output and listen to the LEFT earbud, set the AF out in the menu to maximum. if it has crackle when the mic is disconnected then this is probably rf interference (doubtful, crackle noises are almost ALWAYS a connection problem). if the receiver output is clean and noise-free, but the camera still records crackle, then replace the output cable. if the noise STILL persists, it would be time to look into a bad input on the camera.

one logical step at a time...you will find the problem!!

upon further review of your video clip, that sounds like rf breakup to me. you are either too far away from the transmitter, or the channel you are using is not clear, or your antenna wire is broken on either or both units. if you were less than 35 ACTUAL feet away then i'd say the channel being used is not clear...

see post #4 in this thread to find the best frequency to use...
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...t-ballast.html
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio