sound mixer help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

sound mixer help

BEHRINGER XENYX 1002B - 10 CHANNEL MIXING DESK- EACH

ENG-44 Field Portable Audio Mixer

Hi,

Can anyone help. I need a third opinion. A guy on here recommended the first mixer, and it looks a good mixer.

I obiviously dont want to purchase one mixer, and wish i purchased the other one in a few months time.
I'll be mainly using these for short film shoots, mainly the camera will be on tripod, but i will be outside aswell.
Does anyone use the first mixer (or similar mixer) on exterior shoots/how do you find it. +support it?

p.s how do you protect your mixer in bad weather (light rain etc)?

Thanks
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi, both low budget option here, I can see why they recommend the Behringer (on batteries, right?). Sometimes I use a cheap Behringer When I do a multicam shoot with a live videomixer and getting 2 lines of audio from a front of house or so. So just a stereo mix to tape. One thing a do not like about the Behringers is the lack of good metering. As you can see it has just 2x5 LED's against the whole range from the ENG-44, something you really want to have/use when doing audio...

But overall, you get what you pay for. Behringer is cheap so no high end solution, but it does it job, nothing more or less. I have a couple as well in my edit suites, for monitoring. Lasting for 4/5 years now.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew ...
I've used a 1002 for stage shows for a couple of years now, I bought it originally to shoot an outdor amdram performance at a local castle. Its pretty heavy on batteries so you need to take a bag full of rechargeables for a days shoot. Never found the lack of metering to be a problem - I'm too busy shooting video and just the flicker of a red LED is all the info I need from it.
Even running on batteries it gets very warm so I wouldn't be tempted to keep it in a bag to keep the rain off !

You can buy bigger and better mixers that give you studio quality, but on location and on a budget the 1002 is a great little mixer.

Incidentally, I've given up trying to get a good stereo mix from a stage performance on-the-fly. I now record as many mic and PA feeds as I can grab on to a digital multitracker and worry about the mix-down in post.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The Behringer ain't great, but would do the job much better than some consumer quality POS mixer like 'Radio Shack' sells, or whatever version of that you have on your side of the pond.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Major Player

I have to agree on the Behringer, NOT a good location mixer...heavy on batteries, when running on batteries the phantom power for the mics is 18v ( I think).
But ideal for a simple mixer for a small pa or a kids school video production, VHS level of quality.
The ENG-44 would be a better option.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thats made things a little clearer, thank you.

Andy
Andrew Carter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio