DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   wireless cable for sennheiser g2 to use with a dynamic mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/480917-wireless-cable-sennheiser-g2-use-dynamic-mic.html)

David Chia June 25th, 2010 06:30 AM

wireless cable for sennheiser g2 to use with a dynamic mic

Hi Guys,

just wondering if there is a solution to use a hand held mic like a Shure PG58 - Vocal Mic with a sennheiser g2 wireless kit? I need a xlr female plug to fit in to dynamic mic and then at the end a sennheiser plug to the g2 transmitter . anyone knows what to get such a cable?

I know that they sell the xlr butt to fit it into the mic, but what about a cable to fit to the transmitter instead?

Thanks
David

John Willett June 25th, 2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 1542203)
Hi Guys,

just wondering if there is a solution to use a hand held mic like a Shure PG58 - Vocal Mic with a sennheiser g2 wireless kit? I need a xlr female plug to fit in to dynamic mic and then at the end a sennheiser plug to the g2 transmitter . anyone knows what to get such a cable?

I know that they sell the xlr butt to fit it into the mic, but what about a cable to fit to the transmitter instead?

This has already been answered in THIS thread.

If you want to use a dynamic mic. into the pocket transmitter you will need a special cable that Sennheiser do not supply as standard and you will have to make up yourself.

You need an XLR-3F to lockable 3-pole mini-jack.

The XLR pin-2 signal needs to be connected to the jack tip.

You need to short the jack ring and sleeve together (the ring is the line input).

You *must* have a blocking capacitor in the XLR to prevent the plug-in power from the transmitter getting to the microphone. Most people seem to forget about this, but it is *essential*.

David Chia June 25th, 2010 08:02 AM

Thanks found the answer:
Sennheiser - CL-2 Transmitter Line Cable 1/8"-M to - CL2 -

Sennheiser actual has one...

Jay Massengill June 25th, 2010 09:50 AM

Despite the listed descriptions on B&H, the CL-1 is for line level devices as it says in the title for the item on B&H. It uses different wiring into the transmitter's input jack.
You need the CM-1 cable for an XLR mic level signal. B&H also has the listed description incorrect with this cable as well but the title is again correct.
Or you could wire your own as John mentions.

John Willett June 26th, 2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 1542235)
Thanks found the answer:
Sennheiser - CL-2 Transmitter Line Cable 1/8"-M to - CL2 -

Sennheiser actual has one...

NO - NO - NO !

This is *NOT* the cable at all.

It connects to the line input of the transmitter and is totally *useless* for a microphone.

Didn't you read what I wrote?

I think Sennheiser USA may make up a lead and call it the CM-1 - it's wired totally differently from the CL-1, which is of no use at all to you.

It *looks* the same but the mic. cable has a blocking capacitor in the XLR and is wired to different pins in the jack plug.

The Sennheiser USA CM-1 cable (which is wired correctly and includes the blocking capacitor) can be found HERE.

At least, I assume it's made by Sennheiser USA as it's not on the UK price list at all.

Bruce Watson June 26th, 2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1542604)
NO - NO - NO !

This is *NOT* the cable at all.

I think Sennheiser USA may make up a lead and call it the CM-1 ...

+1.

The cable you want is the CM-1. Call Sennheiser tech. support and verify if you want (I did). You need the blocking capacitor in the XLR-F connector, and you need the 3.5mm mini-plug wired correctly. Anything else risks damaging the mic, the xmitter, or both.

David Chia July 8th, 2010 02:15 AM

thanks guys...

cheers...

David Chia July 12th, 2010 07:05 AM

B&H seems to carry it too..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/310613-REG/Sennheiser_CM1.html

John Willett July 12th, 2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 1547680)

Yes, but the picture does not appear to be a Sennheiser part.