DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   H4N Vs Tascam DR100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/480956-h4n-vs-tascam-dr100.html)

Brian Maurer June 25th, 2010 09:48 PM

H4N Vs Tascam DR100

Any noticeable differences between these two? I'd really appreciate your thoughts. I'm gearing up to dump the BeachTek box for one of these, and would love thoughts on one over the other, if any real differences exist. Thanks in advance.

Rick Reineke June 26th, 2010 09:54 AM

If you need 4 discreet tracks, the H4n. Other than that, the Tascam would be my choice..

Nicole Hankerson June 28th, 2010 03:01 PM

Both are very great recorders. What will you be using it with a 5d/7d or what type of setup? I have used both and I like them both but I would prefer the Tascam I like the battery setup and also it has a dial to adjust levels with.

Nicole

Martin Doppelbauer July 5th, 2010 02:55 PM

The H4N has lots of features and looks like a nice recorder. However, under the hood there are some pretty serious design flaws (Field recorder harmonics).
I'd go with the Tascam or (even better) the Marantz PMD-661.

Guy Cochran July 7th, 2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Doppelbauer (Post 1545454)
The H4N has lots of features and looks like a nice recorder. However, under the hood there are some pretty serious design flaws (Field recorder harmonics).
I'd go with the Tascam or (even better) the Marantz PMD-661.

Interesting findings Martin. Thanks for sharing.

I also like the Tascam DR100 for the built-in battery, better limiters, and as Nicole said, rotating level knob instead of clicking buttons. You also have the ability to monitor with headphones and run a Line out simultaneously with the DR100. So the Zoom H4n has *one port* for both headphone and Line out, while the DR100 has *two separate ports*. I run the Line level out of the DR100 with a special cable into the Canon 5D Mark II's Mic input. With the same audio recorded on both devices, syncing becomes very easy.

I do like the H4N's weight and x/y mics, plus the ability to record 4 tracks and my DR100 is currently on the fritz about to be sent in for service, so I guess it becomes a toss up.

Jon Fairhurst July 7th, 2010 03:19 PM

So, Guy, what's the problem with your DR-100? It might be good to share, in case it is a common issue.

Sabyasachi Patra July 9th, 2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1546184)
I run the Line level out of the DR100 with a special cable into the Canon 5D Mark II's Mic input. With the same audio recorded on both devices, syncing becomes very easy.

What is the special cable Guy?

Guy Cochran July 9th, 2010 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1546224)
So, Guy, what's the problem with your DR-100? It might be good to share, in case it is a common issue.

Hi Jon,

The DR-100 that I have is buzzing on all inputs. So I'm back to using a Zoom for now. My assistant is working with Tascam to get it serviced. I'll follow up once I find out more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra (Post 1546803)
What is the special cable Guy?

It's an 1/8" mini to mini with a resistor built-in to bring the level down from line level to mic level. I use it with the Tascam (when it working lol) and with Zoom H4n.

DVcreators Line to Mic Cable at DVcreators.net

Sabyasachi Patra July 12th, 2010 10:53 AM

Guy,
Thanks for the response. Is there a link where I can hear the difference.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Guy Cochran July 12th, 2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra (Post 1547748)
Guy,
Thanks for the response. Is there a link where I can hear the difference.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Hi Sabyasachi,

I haven't seen a direct comparison of the H4N vs the Tascam video that anyone has posted. Here is a sample of the H4N from Jon

and the Tascam DR-100 with me.

...and just for kicks, here's Steve with the larger unit, the DR680

Brian Maurer July 26th, 2010 02:34 PM

I'm sorry that I did not reply to this. After reading all that you guys have provided, I'm going to be purchasing the Tascam for my 550D, syncing in post. I have a friend that's been using the H4N, but using it when he allows, and comparing it to what you've provided here, I think that, for what I can afford right now, the Tascam is going to be the best bet. Again, thank you guys, and forgive me for not acknowledging your help as quickly as possible.

Jon Fairhurst July 26th, 2010 03:51 PM

One tip: don't let the battery go dead while recording. When the display says "Low Battery", it really means, "I dropped your last clip."