Senn G3 wireless lavs with or without plug-in transmitter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 26th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Senn G3 wireless lavs with or without plug-in transmitter?

Hi everyone,
Like so many others, I'm getting ready buy a wireless lav set up. After researching extensively, Ive settled on the Sennheiser G3 [Sennheiser EW112-p G3 Camera Mount Wireless Microphone System with ME2 Lavalier Mic (G: 566-608MHz)].

But I'm trying to decide if I should just get the lav, receiver and transmitter ($599), or throw down the extra $200 for the plug in transmitter ($799) [Evolution G3 100 Series - Wireless Microphone Combo]. Has anyone used the plug in transmitter that comes with this set? Is it a worthwhile product? I'm not sure if the reviews I've read for the lavs go the same for this other transmitter too.

I'll be working with an inexperienced boom operator sometimes (Sennheiser K6), and it would be nice if I didn't have to worry about him accidentally taking the camera down or pulling on the cables.

Thanks in advance, this forum is such an amazing resource. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this!
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Major Player

The ENG kit with the plug-on transmitter is worth getting if you can afford it - as it will be a hundred or two more expensive if you decide to get the plug-on later.

The plug-on is perfect for turning a dynamic reporter mic. into a radio mic. and also works well with electret condenser mics that have an internal battery - eg: for making a K6+ME66 wireless.

The SKP 100 plug-on does *not* proivide phantom power, though (you need the SKP 500 G2 or SKP 2000 for that).
Old June 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks so much, John! Good to hear that. Sounds like it would be worth it in the long run.
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The plug-in transmitter can be very handy on occasion.
If your buying it specifically for the boom, you should discuss it with your 'experienced' boom operator. For instance, how will he or she monitor what they are doing?
I'm sure you are aware, body-pack and plug-in transmitters cannot be used at the same time with a single receiver.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Okawa View Post
But I'm trying to decide if I should just get the lav, receiver and transmitter ($599), or throw down the extra $200 for the plug in transmitter ($799) [Evolution G3 100 Series - Wireless Microphone Combo]. Has anyone used the plug in transmitter that comes with this set? Is it a worthwhile product? I'm not sure if the reviews I've read for the lavs go the same for this other transmitter too.
The SKP100 G3 plug-in xmitter should work just fine. It does add weight and length to the mic you attach it too. In the case of using the mic handheld this might be an issue with your talent.

OTOH, if you are trying to make a dynamic mic wireless, you can also use a Sennheiser CM-1 cable to interface a dynamic mic to the SK100 G3 bodypack receiver. The CM-1 has the correct wiring of the 3.5mm mini-plug, and the required blocking capacitor in the XLR-F plug. For other applications, you might as well just call Sennheiser Tech. Support and ask. They seem perfectly willing to help.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

inexperienced boom operator / Senn K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
The plug-in transmitter can be very handy on occasion.
If your buying it specifically for the boom, you should discuss it with your 'experienced' boom operator. For instance, how will he or she monitor what they are doing?
I'm sure you are aware, body-pack and plug-in transmitters cannot be used at the same time with a single receiver.
Hi Rich - thanks for mentioning that, you're very correct, of course. This may be a question for a separate thread, but I'll ask it here in case anyone has thoughts on it. When working with someone who hasn't done sound before and will need to be trained on site, is a shotgun mic the way to go?

I have a Sennheiser K6. A friend pointed it out to me if the boom person isn't totally on, the different recording levels of the audio will fluctuate as they move on and off target.

Does anyone have any thoughts on working with someone new to sound recording, and a particular mike that may be less targeted than a shotgun?
Old July 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

A friend pointed it out to me if the boom person isn't totally on, the different recording levels of the audio will fluctuate as they move on and off target.

Unless the boom op is 'way off', the levels would not fluctuate significantly, however the tonality (EQ wise) and room characteristic change in the audio would be more noticeable.

An interference tube shotgun mic is usually not the best choice for a 'live' room.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks, Rick. What would you recommend in place of an interference tube shotgun? I tried a dynamic audio technica mic, and it wasn't sensitive enough.
Thanks!
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

A hypercardioid is the preferred mic for a reflective space such as a typical interior.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio