DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser Wireless Compatibility (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/481103-sennheiser-wireless-compatibility.html)

Greg Clark June 29th, 2010 11:09 AM

Sennheiser Wireless Compatibility

Do all A and B band G2 or G3 wireless work well together?

Rick Reineke June 29th, 2010 01:54 PM

An 'A' frequency block would not be interchangeable with a 'B' frequency block, but usable at the same time... as a 'second system'. There would be no difference sonically. The G2 and G3 would be interchangeable in the same frequency block.. though the G3 has a wider RF bandwidth. Our resident Sennheiser expert John will most likely confirm and/or elaborate.

John Willett June 30th, 2010 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Clark (Post 1543497)
Do all A and B band G2 or G3 wireless work well together?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Reineke (Post 1543565)
An 'A' frequency block would not be interchangeable with a 'B' frequency block, but usable at the same time... as a 'second system'. There would be no difference sonically. The G2 and G3 would be interchangeable in the same frequency block.. though the G3 has a wider RF bandwidth. Our resident Sennheiser expert John will most likely confirm and/or elaborate.

Yes - this is basically correct.

In any band all the frequencies in the same block would be IM-free but you must not use any frequency from another block.

Yes you can use systems from band A and band B together, but I would talk to Sennheiser USA as to which blocks in each band are best to use together.

Greg Clark July 2nd, 2010 10:04 AM

I own a G2 from Block B. You seem to imply that staying within Block B with a G2 or G3 is the best choice for my second system.

John Willett July 6th, 2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Clark (Post 1544593)
I own a G2 from Block B. You seem to imply that staying within Block B with a G2 or G3 is the best choice for my second system.

If it's only two systems it doesn't really matter - and may be an advantage to gave a different band if you move around a lot.

However, for a multi-channel system it's best to plan it out and have it as a system in the same band.

Les Wilson January 17th, 2011 06:38 AM

Can I use a G3 plugon with a G2 receiver?

I have a G2 handheld mic and G2 receiver. I want the option to use a wireless boompole with a shotgun mic instead of the handheld. Can I use a block B G3 plug-on with my block B G2 receiver?

Kevin Walsh January 17th, 2011 06:59 AM

Yes, I do this all the time.

John Willett January 17th, 2011 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1608303)
I have a G2 handheld mic and G2 receiver. I want the option to use a wireless boompole with a shotgun mic instead of the handheld. Can I use a block B G3 plug-on with my block B G2 receiver?

Yes, although the G3 has a larger frequency window. Just make sure it's tuned to the same frequency.

But, be aware, there is no phantom power on the SKP 100 G3 (nor on the G2 /G1) - if you need phantom power you will need the SKP 2000 (which replaced the SKP 500 G2).

Les Wilson February 6th, 2011 02:28 PM

Do I assume correctly that a G2 sk500 bodypack will work (with restricted functionality) with a G2 sk100 bodypack receiver in the same band?

Paul R Johnson February 6th, 2011 02:51 PM

Yes - stay within the same band and G2 and 3 kit is not a problem - and even the old first generation products are fine to, if the receiver has the tone lock turned off. Good on Sennheiser for keeping the actual basic specs alone between generations.