Wireless Mic Volume Recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 9th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless Mic Volume Recommendations?

Hi folks:

I need some suggestions on volume settings from wireless mics. Specifically, what's the best rule of thumb in determining how high a volume setting should be?

Here's my setup: I have a simple wireless mic system with two XLR outs. The unit supports two separate wireless mics and splits them independently to those two channels. I'm taking the feed from each of those XLR outputs and feeding them into a Beachtek camcorder mixer.

The wireless mic receiver has two separate volume controls. My question is, what do I set the mic volume at? Should I set it about half way or turn it up full blast? Or should I do something in between? Obviously I want good, loud sound without clipping.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Norm
Norm Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Norm,
Without knowing which model of mic you have it is almost impossible to help you specifically. Generally you want to align your audio system so it provides you with adequate gain for recording without distortion.
You will have to figure out what the knobs are doing for you on the receiver. Most likely it changes the output of each channel separately. The question is can your recorder deal with the volume from the receivers. If the knobs change the output of the receiver does this overload your recorder. Judge your settings by what happens with the recorder is the best way to start.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Norm, since you're running into a camera with this setup, then bring up the audio levels bars in the camera display and try some various settings but you don't want it to zero out because that will probably be clipping. Generally for normal conversation you'd want the peaks to be around -12db. You'd need to adjust for say a live music concert of a talking heads interview but -12 is a great place to start.

Between the levels control on the receiver, the beachtek and the camera you'd have plenty of places to adjust.

I also use a dual channel receiver (AT1800 series) and have the ability to control levels from it but most often I keep the settings just past the mid point and do fine control on the camera.
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Trustee

We would also need to know exactly which BeachTek you have and the camera model as well as the wireless mic model. Each have very specific controls.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio