Recording Concert out of mixer into Cam Use +48? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Recording Concert out of mixer into Cam Use +48?

Im recording a concert and using an xlr from mixer into my Canon XHA1, should I use the +48V ? also should i use mic att?

any other advice would be great thanks
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Major Player

The 48V phantom voltage is used only to power a condenser-type microphone. There is no purpose in using Phantom Power when not using a mic, and it should be disabled. If you're using a feed from a mixing deck, the typical output is normally +4dB, so I'd recommend trying the Line setting first. If that's too low, then go the the attenuated mic setting. However, if you're using the mixer connected to your own microphones, then, yes, you will likely use the Phantom Power for the mics, but the voltage will not be fed your camera.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Note further that not only do you not NEED 48V phantom power when receiving audio from a mixer (etc), but in many cases, feeding 48V phantom power back into a mixer output will cause it to operate improperly and distort the audio signal (at best), and worst, it may even damage the mixer (the output capacitors specifically).
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio