DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Recording Sound from an iphone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/482604-recording-sound-iphone.html)

Tim Kerigan July 29th, 2010 10:33 AM

Recording Sound from an iphone

So the station I'm interning at right now wants our reporters to start doing teases with their iphones to post on our facebook page. Right now though the audio sounds like crap because it's just the built in mic. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to record audio from a mic plugged into the headphone jack? I was thinking I could wire in a 3.5mm to XLR than plug in a mic or lav.

Chad Johnson July 29th, 2010 01:25 PM

There are mics for the iPhone. Jut try google. "iphone mic"

Tim Kerigan July 29th, 2010 07:51 PM

I know there are mics available, I'd rather be able to just plug in the existing mics, rather than purchase new equipment, plus I still don't even know would it record the audio in video mode? I use an android phone so I'm not all familiar with iphone's

Damon Roger July 29th, 2010 08:07 PM

Hi Tim,

Yes you can. I have an iphone and a 4-track recording program app I use with the mic/headset that came with the phone.

Regards,

Chad Johnson July 30th, 2010 01:28 PM

Well many mics require power, even lavs and it's not clear if the iPhone gives any power to a mic - most likely not. You would need a dynamic mic. And this is for video or audio? A "teaser" could be either.

You could always record audio separately. I suggested the mics they sell specifically for the iPhone because I saw no preamps/mixers for the iPhone. So there may be a mic with a cable that would get the mic off the phone and closer to the person talking. But you need to do your research yourself. When you find the solution please make sure to post it.

Steve House July 31st, 2010 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Kerigan (Post 1553316)
So the station I'm interning at right now wants our reporters to start doing teases with their iphones to post on our facebook page. Right now though the audio sounds like crap because it's just the built in mic. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to record audio from a mic plugged into the headphone jack? I was thinking I could wire in a 3.5mm to XLR than plug in a mic or lav.

Check out the JK Audio 'BluePack' which uses Bluetooth to interface a standard XLR mic with a cell phone amd also provides an IFB return via a headphone output..
http://jkaudio.com/bluepack.htm

Note that there are two reasons your present audio sounds bad. One is the internal mic on the phone isn't all that great. But also remember too that the phone network is limited to a 3 kHz bandwidth so you're never going to get full-range audio on a telephonic, be it through the cell network or via landline.

Tim Kerigan August 1st, 2010 09:45 PM

Thanks guys, I realized I forgot to mention it's a wireless lav, so it is a powered mic, tested it out last night, works great actually, still getting some compression obviously. I'll post up on of the teases we did with it next time I'm at the station.

Josh Laronge August 2nd, 2010 01:51 PM

Recorder Pro App

Has anybody used the Recorder Pro App?

I have a project coming up where I need to record lectures and then add the audio to PowerPoint slides. Final output is YouTube. Will this app work for my needs? If not could you recommend an app (if something good exists)?

I realize it's only $0.99 and I could just buy it and try it but, I'm being cheap today. Thanks in advance.

Chad Johnson August 2nd, 2010 02:14 PM

Really only you can tell. I say flip for the .99 and take a chance. That's less than a cup of Joe. I don't think there is going to be much quality difference between aps, as your hardware will stay the same. The best you can record on iPhone is 16bit.

Josh Laronge August 3rd, 2010 07:36 AM

I got the app and made some tests. I used a Senheiser lav and made some tests. It sounds really good, especially for $0.99. Transferring the files is super easy too.

Ron Little August 3rd, 2010 08:53 AM

How do you transfer the files?

Josh Laronge August 3rd, 2010 09:08 AM

You can either transfer the files through iTunes, via email or via wifi. The app has pretty good instructions built into it.

Ike Tamigian August 3rd, 2010 09:41 AM

You could also try the "Blue FiRe" recording app from Blue microphones. It's free and quite good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Laronge (Post 1554751)
Has anybody used the Recorder Pro App?

I have a project coming up where I need to record lectures and then add the audio to PowerPoint slides. Final output is YouTube. Will this app work for my needs? If not could you recommend an app (if something good exists)?

I realize it's only $0.99 and I could just buy it and try it but, I'm being cheap today. Thanks in advance.