DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   M-Audio’s compact flash recorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/48279-m-audio-s-compact-flash-recorder.html)

Hedley D Wright July 28th, 2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House
I presume so that it can't be accidently clicked out of record mode? Do the consumer minidiscs and iRivers that so many people use usually have such a record lock critter?

The Irivers do...

Tim Le September 11th, 2005 02:00 PM

Hold button yes, external power maybe no

M-Audio posted the manual for the Microtrack a few days ago:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.manuals

The Microtrack definitely has a "Hold" button. But I'm not sure if you can power it externally (like if you were using it with a mixer and one external battery). It has a USB connection that is used to charge the internal battery and it comes with a USB power supply so that you can charge it without a computer, but it's unclear if that connection can be used to bypass the internal battery. Also, it's unclear if the internal battery is easily replaceable or if it's sealed up like an iPod. If so, that would seriously suck for a professional product.

Matt Gettemeier September 11th, 2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim N Le
Also, it's unclear if the internal battery is easily replaceable or if it's sealed up like an iPod. If so, that would seriously suck for a professional product.

Yeah, I had that same thought as I've just this week discovered one of my DVX batteries is toasted... it goes from saying full power to suddenly dead. I'd hate to think of what it would mean if the battery was sealed inside.

BTW... These should be shipping this week. I ordered mine from www.guygraphics.com for $349 plus $6.67 shipping. That's the best price I've found and Clayton Guy has taken good care of me on other purchases in the past.

The bottom line on the unit is -100db SN for mic/line in through the 1/4" inputs... and it can supply phantom 48v out those inputs if needed. I'm hoping the A/D converters are decent... and the pres for that matter... but I have a way around the pre with an SD mixer... so we'll see...?

I should have some audio samples from this thing by the end of the week... if they're actually shipping tomorrow or tue... one thing I know for sure is they HAVE SHIPPED from M-Audio this past week. That is certain. It's just a question of if your chosen store gets their supply this week.

Douglas Spotted Eagle September 11th, 2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Gettemeier
one thing I know for sure is they HAVE SHIPPED from M-Audio this past week. That is certain. It's just a question of if your chosen store gets their supply this week.

Matt, how do you know for sure they've shipped? Information from M-Audio given to me on Thursday is just the opposite. I hope you're right, and M-Audio is wrong.

Matt Gettemeier September 11th, 2005 06:30 PM

I've been bugging the hell out of Jace Nuzback... the Product Manager for M-Audio and here's the text of an email I got from him on Friday:

>
Units have been shipped out.
They should be getting in to dealers within the next two weeks.
Jace
>

He's had lots of other interesting stuff to say such as "use whatever compact flash card you want... even the lower speed cards we've tested work great..."

The unit utilizes FAT16 format for any card popped in under 512mb and automatically does FAT32 for anything higher. It's probable that they'll have a firmware upgrade to seamlessly run across the 2 GB limitation on file size (that's tied to FAT32)... but you can use up to an 8 GB CF card if you like... so far there are no brand/speed compatibility issues.

Other then that I can't tell you much else you don't already know...? You know that it's got incredible specs for what it is right? I already mentioned the -100db SN... which even the Marantz 670 is only -65db SN for mic in... so although I'd love if they found a way to cram XLR-in on this thing... I can't really complain if it lives up to HALF of what they say it'll do on paper.

It's too bad that it looks like a toy, but I'll use black gaffer tape and secure it to an SD mixer so nobody will notice!

I haven't been this excited about an audio/video product since I first got my DVX.

Dave Largent September 12th, 2005 03:42 AM

The thing that I would really be interested in is
how are the pres. Don't really want to have to use
a Sound Devices with it. Do let us know your impressions,
Matt.

Matt Gettemeier September 13th, 2005 08:35 AM

I'll give my impressions as soon as it gets here. Clayton Guy (guygraphics) emailed me last night and said they should have their stock my Wed (tomorrow), but it could be by the end of the week. Either way I probably won't get mine until NEXT Wed.

I ordered a set of StarQuad XLR-TRS connectors from Trew (which will be here today) and a 4 GB CF card from Dell which should be here by the end of the week.

I can't wait until the MicroTrack gets here 'cause how about THIS setup: Get a cell-phone case that perfectly fits the MT (it won't be hard to find) and has a belt loop... strap that to the butt of your boom pole and BAM! Wireless booming with sound to BEAT a Zaxcom!

Except $4500 cheaper.