Is it a problem if my Sennheiser antennas are bent? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is it a problem if my Sennheiser antennas are bent?

Every time I put my wireless mic recievers and transmitters into my camera bag, the wires are a little bit bent. Is that a problem? They are clearly made to be bent somewhat, but I wonder if it's worth paying for a separate box for them so I don't bend the antennas.
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Mine have been bent for years with no ill-effects.
Old August 17th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Major Player

Same as Robert and never a problem. Just don't crimp them.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
Every time I put my wireless mic recievers and transmitters into my camera bag, the wires are a little bit bent. Is that a problem? They are clearly made to be bent somewhat, but I wonder if it's worth paying for a separate box for them so I don't bend the antennas.
Just to be clear here, exactly which wire is bent? Are you talking about the antenna wire? Or are you talking about the microphone wire?

The typical floppy antenna wire is just a piece of flexible, wire. Nothing magic. Bending/folding, etc won't hurt it in the short run (but may weaken it in the long run.) Just be sure to straighten it out as much as possible before deploying the equipment.

OTOH, the wire between the microphone and the transmitter is a different matter. I ALWAYS unplug the microphone/cable and roll it up carefully and store it in its own little zip plastic bag. That is a miniature multi-conductor shielded cable and relatively fragile. Repeatedly bending it is never a good idea, and repairing a broken wire or connector is never fast or inexpensive.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Trustee

Oops..thanks for the clarification. Antennas are fine to bend but as mentioned,not crimp. The mic cables, especially sennheisers are very fragile and should always be stored unplugged from the transmitter.
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
The mic cables, especially sennheisers are very fragile and should always be stored unplugged from the transmitter.
The ME 2 and ME 4 cables should be treated with care - but the MKE 2 cables are steel and are *very* tough.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio