Best interview set up for Zoom H4 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Many thanks for that Jay. I'll have another go tomorrow. I don't think i can face the zoom again today.

The Lav mic looks interesting. I've found 2 links from the same company with differing prices. They both look the same though one seems to have more power. Obviously i'd prefer the cheaper option.

Audio-Technica AT899c-TH

Audio-Technica AT899

Do you think the cheaper option is suitable for high quality interviews?

Thanks

D
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #17
DVCreators.Net

Be sure to order the right one, the 899 comes either with an XLR or unterminated (bare wires).

The TH denotes Theatre (beige, flesh tone, pink)

It's a pretty decent sounding lav at the price and I love the fact that it ships with a vampire clip as well as an assortment of other rigging options. I used to have one, but now switched over the COS11D with the vampire clip from LMCsound.

Here is the link to the 899 on AT's site Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more
Attached Thumbnails
Best interview set up for Zoom H4-at899.jpg  
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #18
Trustee

Their stock photos of the two mics on the Dolphin Music site are misleading, read the full description to see the difference. The less expensive version (AT899c-TH) is just the lav mic with a connector to attach to a wireless transmitter.
The full version AT899 has the XLR power module which allows it to operate as a complete wired microphone.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I have a SWISSONIC MDR-2, cost around £70 including postage and can handle domestic line in, I will try hooking it up to a desk to see how it fares with pro line in.

Its secret is it has 1/4" jack inputs and level knobs. It does however need a preamp to handle microphones. I got a cheap one from Maplin.

I should add I am talking corporate community video stuff here, for broadcast you would defenatly need to spend a lot more.

Ben
Ben Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #20
Major Player

Jay Massengill

Finally got there with your instructions Jay. I'm sure i was doing the same thing on my own, but perhaps in the wrong order. Anyway, seems ok now. The 899 looks like a good bit of kit, so i'll have to decide whether i want to save the cash, or bring along the Evolution kit.

Thanks for your help, and any other's who've helped out here.
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #21
Trustee

Glad to hear it!

The only other hiccup with wireless would be since you're traveling to a foreign country... Do you know for sure you can legally use your wireless frequency there?

One more note about the H4, the settings are saved onto the SD card. So if you change cards or format a card, you need to reselect the settings again.
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #22
Major Player

Jay

Hadn't thought of the wireless legality issue. I'll look into it. I wasn't aware it could be an issue. I'm going to Israel.

I may have a look at the 899 as well. Is there any difference qualitywise between that and the evolution?
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #23
Trustee

The audio quality would depend on which Sennheiser lav element you have in your wireless system. I'm not personally familiar with their various models and how they sound, but there are often comments here on upgrading to something better than the stock lav.
The AT899 sounds good but not fantastic. It's a trade-off between size, price, audio quality and included accessories. The AT899 is truly great in 3 of those categories. In audio quality I think it's perfectly good, (I have 3 of them) but there are much more expensive lavs that do sound better.
If you are only recording with one mic (so there's no direct comparison between two different models) and there are no significant problems encountered, your audio with either should be fine for voice interviews. Usually a wired connection will sound superior but that difference would be subtle. Wired is more reliable (unless someone trips over the cable).
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM   #24
New Boot

Best interview set up for Zoom H4

Hi Dom,
Check out this link.It is for an adapter made by Sennheiser which would give you the option to use the lapel mic from the Evolution series in a hardwired setup. Good Luck,Neil.

Sennheiser UK - MZA 900 P
Neil Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:56 AM   #25
Major Player

Thanks for that Neil. It comes in at only 50 quid less than buying the 899, so the latter looks quite appealing.

Thanks to everyone for helping out.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio