rode video mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 27th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #1
New Boot

rode video mic

any opinions on the rode video mic? I just wanted some solid opinions or alternate mic solutions before i buy. iam using a 950 and am looking for a mic for a documentary with audio coming primarily from ambiance but also some dialogue from 3-4 feet away.
cheers
jeff
Jeff Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #2

http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=Rode has a review. Search this forum, you'll find a lot of comments on this particular mic
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Look at this thread for some info
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48093
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Look at this review for more information:
http://www.pana3ccduser.com/article....%D8DE-Videomic
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I used one in my Audio Bootcamp here saturday and it did very well for its price. The Video Mic smoked the sennheiser MKE 300 but was no match for the 416.

Rode has also come to market with a lot of accessories, long cord, mini TRS to XLR, pole and shoe suspension mounts. A camera mount that has a dummy pipe that fits in some of the camera mounted mic holders and holds the VideoMic. Oh and a dead cat for high wind situations. I can see this going into schools in a heartbeat.

An interesting note: When I rigged up the VideoMic as a boom mic, long extension and XLR converter, I plugged it into my Sound Devices 442 mixer. Something sounded NOT RIGHT! Turns out I had left the Phantom Power on on that input ofr the 442. Turned it off, everything sounded fine. Antagonistic power supplies. I've seen it before on ME66 and SHure VP88.

Otherwise pretty neat. Oh, and The base plate of the VideoMic is already drilled to accept a boom pole bolt.

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #6
New Boot

I just ordered this mike along with a Canon XL-2 and am wondering now if this will work correctly.

Canon specs say:
Front Microphone Input Terminal: -55 dBv (Auto),
-67 dBv (Manual/Vol.Max)/600 ohms

Am I going to be OK with this set-up?

-bob
Bob Bossart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I know the XL2 has XLR audio inputs. I don't believe the XL2 has 1/8 mini TRS jacks.

The Rode video mic end with a mini TRS. Rode makes a handy mini to XLR Male adapter that will allow you to plug right in. Just remember to turn off the Phantom Power on the XL2 and use the battery in the Rode VideoMic.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #8
New Boot

Won't have this stuff till early next week, but in looking at the pictures in the brochure I do see a mini jack on the right side of the camera.

Specs describe it as 03.5mm stereo mini-jack unbalanced.

If necessary, I will use the XLR adapter made by RODE. Would this then offer a solution to the different impedence figures?
Bob Bossart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Probably. That input a mic/line?

Ty
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bossart
Won't have this stuff till early next week, but in looking at the pictures in the brochure I do see a mini jack on the right side of the camera.

Specs describe it as 03.5mm stereo mini-jack unbalanced.

If necessary, I will use the XLR adapter made by RODE. Would this then offer a solution to the different impedence figures?
Looking at my copy of the XL2 manual it looks like the front mic connector is actually a pair of 3.5 stereo mini jacks. Don't know it for a fact but I'll bet you could plug the Rode into one to record on audio channel 1 and the other to record on audio channel 2.
Steve House is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio