DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   5.1 Amplifier? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/484213-5-1-amplifier.html)

Andrew Clark September 2nd, 2010 06:53 PM

5.1 Amplifier?

Hello -

I noticed that most all configurations for a 5.1 setup are utilizing ACTIVE monitors with an audio interface (such as those by M-Audio, Presonus, etc..).

But I was wondering what if I wanted to utilize a PASSIVE monitor setup....is there a 5.1 amp out there made for this? I've researched a bit, but have only seen amps with stereo capabilities.

I know there are home theater receivers that are capable of doing this, but they would probably add "color" to the sound.

Any possibilities that anyone can suggest for this?

Richard Crowley September 2nd, 2010 10:51 PM

If you're going to go out and get six discrete, passive speaker systems, you can probably manage to get three stereo power amps to go with them. The lack of equipment in that area is rather an indicator of what the preferences of the mainstream pro consumers are.

Don Xaliman September 3rd, 2010 01:44 PM

Is this what you are looking for?

NAD Electronics :: M25 7-Channel Amplifier

or this
http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...ower-Amplifier

Andrew Clark September 3rd, 2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crowley (Post 1565569)
If you're going to go out and get six discrete, passive speaker systems, you can probably manage to get three stereo power amps to go with them. The lack of equipment in that area is rather an indicator of what the preferences of the mainstream pro consumers are.

Yes, I kinda thought that myself but was curious how the users of "passive" monitors were powering their systems.

Andrew Clark September 3rd, 2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Xaliman (Post 1565778)

Great find!! That is a beast of an amp!!

Have you had any experience using this?

Don Xaliman September 3rd, 2010 10:21 PM

I've got an old 6 channel NAD. It's only listed as 30w per channel, it's in my living room surround set-up and it's plenty loud. I use it with a Technics digital sound processor, to break out the digital audio into 5.1
It's a very clean amp, I like it.

Andrew Clark September 6th, 2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Xaliman (Post 1565933)
I've got an old 6 channel NAD. It's only listed as 30w per channel, it's in my living room surround set-up and it's plenty loud. I use it with a Technics digital sound processor, to break out the digital audio into 5.1
It's a very clean amp, I like it.

So you're not using this connected to your computer?

Don Xaliman September 6th, 2010 02:53 PM

Over the years I have used that amp in many ways. I did have it connected to my Focusrite Safire Pro 10 computer interface. Using 1/4" to RCA connectors, I was powering my surround Left and Right, as well as my centre speaker. I bridged the NAD amp so as to utilize 3 x 60watt channels. My Mains and Sub are already powered speakers. My plan was to mix in 5.1 but I haven't had the time to properly experiment with software and process, so I put it on the back burner. I am rethinking my monitoring situation, which is much more complex than straight stereo. I may just go with powered surrounds and centre speakers... or maybe go totally unpowered speakers, except the sub. It's still a bit of a puzzle.
I have a StudioComm Bass Manager in the studio with balanced i/o to properly assign the speakers the right frequencies.

In the meantime I am using the NAD as a listening room experience in my living room.
What are you trying to set-up for? Surround mixing?

Andrew Clark September 6th, 2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Xaliman (Post 1566575)
Over the years I have used that amp in many ways. I did have it connected to my Focusrite Safire Pro 10 computer interface. Using 1/4" to RCA connectors, I was powering my surround Left and Right, as well as my centre speaker. I bridged the NAD amp so as to utilize 3 x 60watt channels. My Mains and Sub are already powered speakers. My plan was to mix in 5.1 but I haven't had the time to properly experiment with software and process, so I put it on the back burner. I am rethinking my monitoring situation, which is much more complex than straight stereo. I may just go with powered surrounds and centre speakers... or maybe go totally unpowered speakers, except the sub. It's still a bit of a puzzle.
I have a StudioComm Bass Manager in the studio with balanced i/o to properly assign the speakers the right frequencies.

In the meantime I am using the NAD as a listening room experience in my living room.
What are you trying to set-up for? Surround mixing?

Exactly. I am looking at all the options available to setup a 5.1 surround monitoring system. I'm no expert by any means, but will get there with practice....I hope!!

It seems the "amp" + "passive" monitors are little less popular than the "active" monitor setup.