5.1 Amplifier? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Major Player

5.1 Amplifier?

Hello -

I noticed that most all configurations for a 5.1 setup are utilizing ACTIVE monitors with an audio interface (such as those by M-Audio, Presonus, etc..).

But I was wondering what if I wanted to utilize a PASSIVE monitor setup....is there a 5.1 amp out there made for this? I've researched a bit, but have only seen amps with stereo capabilities.

I know there are home theater receivers that are capable of doing this, but they would probably add "color" to the sound.

Any possibilities that anyone can suggest for this?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Trustee

If you're going to go out and get six discrete, passive speaker systems, you can probably manage to get three stereo power amps to go with them. The lack of equipment in that area is rather an indicator of what the preferences of the mainstream pro consumers are.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Is this what you are looking for?

NAD Electronics :: M25 7-Channel Amplifier

or this
http://nadelectronics.com/products/h...ower-Amplifier
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
If you're going to go out and get six discrete, passive speaker systems, you can probably manage to get three stereo power amps to go with them. The lack of equipment in that area is rather an indicator of what the preferences of the mainstream pro consumers are.
Yes, I kinda thought that myself but was curious how the users of "passive" monitors were powering their systems.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Xaliman View Post
Great find!! That is a beast of an amp!!

Have you had any experience using this?
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've got an old 6 channel NAD. It's only listed as 30w per channel, it's in my living room surround set-up and it's plenty loud. I use it with a Technics digital sound processor, to break out the digital audio into 5.1
It's a very clean amp, I like it.
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
I've got an old 6 channel NAD. It's only listed as 30w per channel, it's in my living room surround set-up and it's plenty loud. I use it with a Technics digital sound processor, to break out the digital audio into 5.1
It's a very clean amp, I like it.
So you're not using this connected to your computer?
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Over the years I have used that amp in many ways. I did have it connected to my Focusrite Safire Pro 10 computer interface. Using 1/4" to RCA connectors, I was powering my surround Left and Right, as well as my centre speaker. I bridged the NAD amp so as to utilize 3 x 60watt channels. My Mains and Sub are already powered speakers. My plan was to mix in 5.1 but I haven't had the time to properly experiment with software and process, so I put it on the back burner. I am rethinking my monitoring situation, which is much more complex than straight stereo. I may just go with powered surrounds and centre speakers... or maybe go totally unpowered speakers, except the sub. It's still a bit of a puzzle.
I have a StudioComm Bass Manager in the studio with balanced i/o to properly assign the speakers the right frequencies.

In the meantime I am using the NAD as a listening room experience in my living room.
What are you trying to set-up for? Surround mixing?
Old September 6th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Over the years I have used that amp in many ways. I did have it connected to my Focusrite Safire Pro 10 computer interface. Using 1/4" to RCA connectors, I was powering my surround Left and Right, as well as my centre speaker. I bridged the NAD amp so as to utilize 3 x 60watt channels. My Mains and Sub are already powered speakers. My plan was to mix in 5.1 but I haven't had the time to properly experiment with software and process, so I put it on the back burner. I am rethinking my monitoring situation, which is much more complex than straight stereo. I may just go with powered surrounds and centre speakers... or maybe go totally unpowered speakers, except the sub. It's still a bit of a puzzle.
I have a StudioComm Bass Manager in the studio with balanced i/o to properly assign the speakers the right frequencies.

In the meantime I am using the NAD as a listening room experience in my living room.
What are you trying to set-up for? Surround mixing?
Exactly. I am looking at all the options available to setup a 5.1 surround monitoring system. I'm no expert by any means, but will get there with practice....I hope!!

It seems the "amp" + "passive" monitors are little less popular than the "active" monitor setup.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio