Monitoring off 5Dmk2 mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 1st, 2010, 06:03 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Harry

A single stereo pair can cover a full symphony orchestra given the right mic type, location and, and pairing technique. The built in mics in something like a Zoom like unit (I prefer the Sony PCM D50 but that's just me!) are usually cardioids in a so-called X -Y pattern. Width/eveness of coverage is up to the sound guy (you!) and how the mics are placed. Hint - nowhere near the camera.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Major Player

"Hint - No Where near thr camera" made me laugh!! True that!!

So short of buying every type of mic. If you were to have only two mics that could be used to mic a two party interview or mic an orchestra, which two mics would you get? Wired XLR balanced that is
Old October 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM   #18
Inner Circle

The requirements for a 2 person sit-down interview and for stereo recording of an orchestra are so different that finding a single pair of mics that would do both jobs well would be out of the question, IMHO. For the sit-downs, a pair of Tram TR-50 omni lavs or perhaps a pair of the new Rode lavs would be a good choice. For recording the orchestra, a pair of small diaphram cardioid condensors such as the Rode NT5 or Audio Technica 2021 or 4021 would be worth considering. (Brands mentioned only as examples, lots of others would fit the bill.)

Last edited by Steve House; October 3rd, 2010 at 05:31 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Take a look at the Sony PCM D-50 if you haven't already - its built in mics are rather good at the price - it might be good enough for band/orchestra. I use mine as backup for almost everything I do. Certainly not as good as my regular setup, but considering the 10 -20 X price difference I'm extremely happy with it. And sound quality is really quite good. It has really excellent limiters for this class of device.

You could probbaly get intelligible voice with it as well, but I think Steve's suggestions re lavs is a good one

I use a couple of small pocket recorders with my lavs - I use MicroTraks which are not much beloved by a lot of people here, but I've been satisfied enough with them for the occasional use I make of them.

You might be able to run two lavs into the Sony via a Y cable - haven't tried it myself so might be off base.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio