lav mic cable SEVERED- fixable? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
What about if there's a shield braid that is completely severed? That would be difficult to splice.
aluminum foil :) solder the two center wires together. probably only have room for electrical tape, one wrap, each wire. one more wrap around both to be sure they will stay insulated. then solder the braid together by pulling some wire out of it from one end to bridge the gap. then wrap the open area with foil if you want, and finally heat shrink tube the entire thing. you'd also be surprised at how bad some audio wire is with shielding, as in 50%. a small gap in the braid also generally won't make a difference, but thats heresy for another day :)
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Not a direct answer to your question but a CEO accidentally pulled the capsule off of one of my TR-50s years ago. Took it to the Location Sound (in LA) repair department and they re-attached it and I have happily used the mic for another eight years so far. They charged me $50.00 but they did say that if it was ever ripped off again, they would not be able to repair it.

I agree with the others, doing a cable splice in as long as you have a few inches near the capsule would be child's play for any good repair tech. Location Sound or Coffey in LA could handle it and Trew is the best on the east coast.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #18
Major Player

The first break is clearly part way down the cable.

The solution is a new cable with a proper connector.

You either join that to the existing cable by splicing the two together (which leaves a lump) or putting a plug and socket at the join (which leaves a bigger lump) - the choice is yours.
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Major Player

I agree with Dan, I had a damaged Tr50 (connection was bad at the capsule) & got a quote from someplace in LA & they said that they could repair it for $100 or so. But they said if it had been repaired before, they couldn't do it again.

A in-line splice is more do-able than one right at the mic.

Call around & you'll find a place to fix it for you for less than the cost of a new one.
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Already fixed and mailed back. Publicly awaiting Ben's rating.
Attached Thumbnails
lav mic cable SEVERED- fixable?-cord1.jpg   lav mic cable SEVERED- fixable?-cord2.jpg  

Last edited by Tom Majeski; September 13th, 2010 at 11:21 AM.
Tom Majeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #21
Equal Opportunity Offender

Now, what about "fixing" the cat (issue)?

<evil grin>

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Looks like a good repair to me. Hope it works for you for many more years.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #23
Major Player

Hail Tom the CableMaster

apologies for my delayed public props-

Tom is the man- the pictures say it all, and mic is good is new. What seemed like an impossible fix was apparently simple to Tom as he received, repaired and mailed back same day- *without even mentioning money*.

Very grateful for experts like Tom who are generous with their knowledge and that places like DVINFO.net provide a trustworthy resource and community.

My hearty thanks again to Tom (let's settle up!) and also everyone else who offered advice.
Old September 20th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #24
Tourist

Re: lav mic cable SEVERED- fixable?

Hi everyone! I have 2 TR50s (Sennheiser locking connector) that are kinda desoldered at the connector. I mean, they work, but you have to jiggle the metal sleeve a little bit until it works, and if it gets moved drastically it may or may not stop working again. So, I'd appreciate some help as to where I could take them to repair. I know I can send it directly to tram but it's a flat rate of like 60 usd each for a repair, but I guess it's not a difficult repair, and I was hoping that someone could shed some light as to where to take/send them. Thanks!
Alejandro Orduna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Re: lav mic cable SEVERED- fixable?

My friend Eric Toline in Florida builds and fixes cables for G2 and G3 and other audio gear. Very reasonable rates and a real nice guy.. highly recommended
If you contact him, tell him I said hello.
Eric Toline, Elder Audio
954-255-7628 audioetc@bellsouth.net

Otherwise, any of the usual suspect location sound shops could fix those. I don't know of any specific shop in your area so you will likely have to mail them to the USA. (still cheaper than replacement)
Some of these shops are; Location Sound, N. Hollywood CA, Trew Audio in Nashville TN and Toronto Canada, TAI Audio in Orlando FL., Gotham Audio and Professional Sound Services both in New York, NY

Last edited by Rick Reineke; September 20th, 2014 at 03:16 PM.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio