DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   lav mic cable SEVERED- fixable? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/484311-lav-mic-cable-severed-fixable.html)

Benjamin Hill September 5th, 2010 12:15 PM

lav mic cable SEVERED- fixable?

2 Attachment(s)
Stuff happens; in this case, my cat chewed through the cable of my Tram TR50 lav mic in several different places. Both an electrician and an experienced audio engineer I showed this to said 'not fixable'.

So I've pretty accepted this unit is toast, but before I throw in the towel I thought I'd just ask here: has anyone ever attempted such a repair? With success or failure?

thanks!

Steve House September 5th, 2010 02:00 PM

You can send it to Tram and they can attach a new end connector at the point of the break. The cable going into the capsule end is not replacable so you'll end up with a mic with a shorter than normal cable So the big question becomes how much cable is left between the break and the mic - is it enough for the mic to be usable? From your pics it doesn't look like there's a lot of cable between the last chew point and the capsule.

Richard Crowley September 5th, 2010 02:34 PM

If you're going to toss it, I'll give you $20 for it. It's worth trying to fix, at least.

Tom Majeski September 5th, 2010 04:59 PM

Anyone worth their salt with a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing can fix that in 5 minutes. Even if the entire cable was hamburger, as long as there are both connectors with a good 2 inches of cable on each end, a length of new one can be spliced in.

If your options fail, contact me for a fix. 10 years on the road as a tv uplink engineer teaches you that there are NO cables that can't be fixed.

Richard Crowley September 5th, 2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Majeski (Post 1566308)
there are NO cables that can't be fixed.

I absolutely agree. But if you have to pay someone else to do it, it changes the economics of repair vs. replace.

Tom Majeski September 5th, 2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Crowley (Post 1566314)
I absolutely agree. But if you have to pay someone else to do it, it changes the economics of repair vs. replace.

Very true. Only thinking in cases where a replacement cable is unavailable - either a time constraint, or where the mfg says..."I'm sorry, we don't sell just the cable seperately".

Benjamin Hill September 5th, 2010 08:16 PM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, will follow up via PM

Steve House September 5th, 2010 08:18 PM

Just happened to be looking at the repair service information on the Tram site just the other day and they claim there's no way to attach a new cable at the mic capsule end, that its strain relief is integral to the capsule body and must be attached as part of the capsule manufacturing process. They're happy to replace the connector or swap it for a different type but if the damage is too close to the capsule they say nothing can be done.

Benjamin Hill September 5th, 2010 08:26 PM

Yeah, I saw that too Steve. Pardon my ignorance, is the capsule the microphone part?

Jeffery Magat September 5th, 2010 09:05 PM

Not sure if you'd want to do this, but you could put a connector on the end that's 4" from the mic head and create a jumper cable. Pretty ultra-low budget fix, but it'd work.

Steve Oakley September 5th, 2010 11:58 PM

just splice it together. I've done this in the field 1" from a mic capsule with a sony ECM 44. the wire is a PITA to solder, but doable. send it to TREW audio in nashville if you can't do it - they can make up a new connecter end, mic wire, and splice it close....

Steve House September 6th, 2010 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill (Post 1566341)
Yeah, I saw that too Steve. Pardon my ignorance, is the capsule the microphone part?

Yep, the end you talk into <grin>

Steve House September 6th, 2010 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Oakley (Post 1566381)
just splice it together. I've done this in the field 1" from a mic capsule with a sony ECM 44. the wire is a PITA to solder, but doable. send it to TREW audio in nashville if you can't do it - they can make up a new connecter end, mic wire, and splice it close....

What about if there's a shield braid that is completely severed? That would be difficult to splice.

Richard Crowley September 6th, 2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve House (Post 1566429)
What about if there's a shield braid that is completely severed? That would be difficult to splice.

Yes, difficult, but not impossible. It still comes down to how much $$ is it worth to fix vs. toss and replace. I have "rewoven" braid shields in cases where there was no viable alternative. But, as you imply, perhaps not worth the effort in this case(?)

Rick Reineke September 6th, 2010 11:23 AM

I have read there's a repair service somewhere in the UK that can repair Tram cable/head issues. Can't recall much more than that it wasn't cheap or I would have sent them a few with the usual intermittent cable/head connections.