Ready-made AGC-defeater? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 15th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Ready-made AGC-defeater?

So I told my boss that a few months ago I had seen a product announcement of an inexpensive device that could disable the AGC in the company's Sony consumer camcorders. Our audio signal is coming from the headphone output of a mixer, and going into the mic input of the camcorder. I've been searching the internet for that device, and I'm beginning to think this was just "wishful remembering". Searching the forum here, I see many posts by people who've made their own AGC-defeater, using an MP3 player and a Y-cable. Before I tell my boss he'll have to build his own, has anyone seen an off-the-shelf device to disable AGC?

(I've read about the JuicedLink DN101. A bit pricey, and I don't know if it would work without the JuicedLink XLR adapter.)

Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't currently use a camera that has auto-only level control, so I don't have a direct answer to your primary question.
However, I will ask why a headphone output from a mixer is being used to feed the mic-level input of a camera?? There are much better ways to do this.
I'll also say there are many prosumer video camera models available that do have manual audio level controls.
I would be more inclined to recommend a camera with manual audio (unless we're talking about a dSLR, in which case the choices are much more limited), before I would recommend an attempt to defeat the AGC with something less effective than a Juiced-Link.
If this is a business use, rather than just a hobby, there are reasons why the proper gear costs more and why those qualities are important to the end results.
Sure, we've all experimented with shortcuts that are cheap, but I don't recommend it for anything above hobby level.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Check out Juice Link

JL-DN101 [JL-DN101] - $139.00 : juicedLink, Unique and Trusted Solutions for Audio and Video Production

BeachTek DXA-SLR Active DSLR Adapter
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

Definitely the Juiced Link.

BTW, when people say that something is a bit pricey, my response is ... "compared to what?"

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I would investigate if the Juice Link would 'disable' the AGC on your specific camera.
There are some different AGC circuit designs used by other manufacturers.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the helpful input guys.
Well, it looks like I tell my boss it's JuicedLink or build-your-own.

Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Definitely the Juiced Link.

BTW, when people say that something is a bit pricey, my response is ... "compared to what?"

Andrew
Yes - I clicked the Juiced Link link and thought it was extremely cheap.

So cheap that it's almost too cheap.

If you think it's pricey I dread to think what other equipment you have been using.
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Note that the DN101 only works when paired with a Juicedlink mixer - it's only an add-on to add the AGC killer and metering to an existing mixer and does not include the core audio circuitry such as preamps etc found in the full product.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio