DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   *Upcoming (first) Wedding Shoot: Needing Advice for (XL1s) Wireless Mics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/48477-upcoming-first-wedding-shoot-needing-advice-xl1s-wireless-mics.html)

Corey Cook July 28th, 2005 03:09 PM

*Upcoming (first) Wedding Shoot: Needing Advice for (XL1s) Wireless Mics

Hello,

I will be shooting a friend's wedding in late August. I would like some advice concerning the most beneficial purchase of a wireless microphone system for the Canon XL1s. I am willing to spend approzimately $500.

Thanks,

Corey C. Cook

Guy Cochran July 28th, 2005 07:33 PM

Under $500, the choice most will undoubtedly say is the Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless system. Read this article at Digital Journalist.

Then watch this QuickTime movie at the DV eStore Theatre.

Also, if you click the search button and type "wireless" you'll get to some good posts on this widely discussed topic.

Corey Cook July 31st, 2005 09:28 PM

BH.COM- Options (mhz?)

Thanks for the reply, Guy!

I've looked at the Sennheiser Evolution 100 G2 system packages at BHphotovideo.com and it appears to be that there are minor differences in the various systems offered at the site. The only apparent differences between systems, however, are the variations in the numbers within the parenthesis after the model description. (example: one model description may say, in parenthesis, "(B 626-662 Mhz)." Another model description may say "(A 518-554 Mhz)." Yet another model number says "(C 740-776 Mhz)."

Even though in each featured model the information in parenthesis is different, the actual model name and package contents remain the same. What is the reason for these variations?

Replies are appreciated.

Thanks,

Corey C.

Stephanie Wilson July 31st, 2005 11:27 PM

[QUOTE=Corey Cook]Thanks for the reply, Guy!

I've looked at the Sennheiser Evolution 100 G2 system packages at BHphotovideo.com and it appears to be that there are minor differences in the various systems offered at the site. The only apparent differences between systems, however, are the variations in the numbers within the parenthesis after the model description. (example: one model description may say, in parenthesis, "(B 626-662 Mhz)." Another model description may say "(A 518-554 Mhz)." Yet another model number says "(C 740-776 Mhz)."

Even though in each featured model the information in parenthesis is different, the actual model name and package contents remain the same. What is the reason for these variations?

Replies are appreciated.

Hey Corey,

Wireless signals are particular to certain locals and I would suggest you go back to the Sennheiser site to determine which A,B or C frequencies are right for your area. You can manually change the frequencies, but I would buy the one that is best suited to your area of the planet. That setting will give you the most latitude.

Much Luck,

Steph

Patrick King August 1st, 2005 05:18 AM

Corey,

Your Public Profile didn't indicate where in the world you are, so I'm not certain this will help.

Here are two links to websites that will help you pick the best frequency setup if you are stateside.

Lectrosonics

Sennheiser

Corey Cook August 1st, 2005 09:41 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

Corey C.

Stephanie Wilson August 1st, 2005 01:22 PM

Hi again,

The Sennheiser website has info regarding which UHF TV channels are operating in your state. You should then chose the mic system with the most open frequencies.

A range 518-550 MHz
B range 630-662 MHz
C range 740-772 MHz

Good Luck,

Steph

Joseph Ivey August 2nd, 2005 11:22 AM

Check Sennheiser's website. They have a link where you can check the frequency list in your area. Being in Nashville, I picked up the 630 -662 range because that was the most open range for me. I would advise against the 700 range because an engineer at the tv station I work at said there is the possibility in the future that the 700 range could be used for government devices.

Corey Cook August 4th, 2005 12:58 PM

Compatibility with the Canon XL1s

I've selected a Evo G2 model. Is everyone sure that this system will be compatible with my Canon XL1s?

Thanks,

Corey C.

Stephanie Wilson August 4th, 2005 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Cook
I've selected a Evo G2 model. Is everyone sure that this system will be compatible with my Canon XL1s?

Thanks,

Corey C.

Hey Corey,

Yes, this system will absolutely work with your XL1. Hopefully you also ordered a windscreen for the lav and a camera mounting adapter for the receiver.

Much luck,

Steph

Joseph Ivey August 5th, 2005 03:07 AM

the kit that I ordered came with a camera mount for the camera hot shoe. I don't quite remember if it came with a windscreen but I think it did. You could get on B&H and find out what it would ship with.

Brett Whited August 5th, 2005 05:54 AM

Hey everyone-
I too am looking for a wireless system for my Canon GL2. I don't really feel like spending $500 on a Sennheiser system right now. I was however, looking at the Samson UHF Series One system seen here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Has anyone had any experiences with these? I had a Samson Series One wireless guitar system that was the exact frequency and I never had any problems with interference or anything of that sort with it. So do you guys think it is unwise to invest in something like this? Or should I shell out some more and go for the Sennheiser?
Thanks!
-Brett

Joseph Ivey August 5th, 2005 08:52 AM

I don't know from personal experience but when I was looking at lav mics the engineer at the tv station I work at told me that Samson wasn't worth the money. I looked at some lackluster reviews and went with the Sennheiser. It is more expensive, but if you plan on having this mic for the long haul I would drop my money on a better product.