Best value shotgun mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM   #16
Equal Opportunity Offender

On a minor technical note, I find that the Rode NTG3 is too thin to be held in the shotgun mount on my Sony V1. Some wrap-around padding to thicken the diameter would do the trick, though.

That said, I absolutely love my NTG3 and use it inside a cage with a "dead wombat" furry thing ... which I guess is the way it is designed to be used.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:03 PM   #17
Major Player

Rode SM5 - Shotgun Microphone Suspension SM5 - B&H Photo Video

This may fit in the mic clamp.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:21 PM   #18
Equal Opportunity Offender

Thanks for that. Very interesting indeed!

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:43 PM   #19
Major Player

I just got this for my NTG-3

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/668031-REG/Rycote_116002_InVision_Universal_Camera_Kit.html

Universal Camera Kit » Rycote

YouTube - Rycote

It also comes with a clamp adapter. It's a great system, and cheaper than a softie/shock mount, and better at wind reduction.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:05 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I suggest the Audio Technica AT875R.

I own it and it sounds great.
Antonio Ricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:59 AM   #21
Major Player

If you are looking for a small gun for a small camera, I would certainly consider the Ambient Tiny Mic - and it's a lot smaller than it looks, that is *not* an XLR on the end.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM   #22
Regular Crew

ya, i cant use a mic that uses xlr only, i like the look of that ambient mic, but i didnt see a price listed anywhere?
Michael Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:31 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Ambient Recording TinyMike Kit - Compact Directional ATM 216H -

Doesn't exactly meet your under-$100 requirement.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:06 AM   #24
Regular Crew

ya that is definitely out of the question, considering i only paid 800 for the camera body, i definitely want to keep the price around $200 as seeing my original budget of $100 seems a little far fetched for the quality that i want
Michael Herrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:43 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Just a sidenote, Michael. For serious work and on professional shoots it's not at all unusual for the sound part of the kit to have cost several times what the camera and lenses cost. You gotta face facts, there is simply no way to purchase a shotgun mic, shockmount, and windscreen for under $200 and get anything other than a consumer toy. The aformentioned Senn MKE400 is a close as you're likely to come with a $200 limit.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:56 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
On a minor technical note, I find that the Rode NTG3 is too thin to be held in the shotgun mount on my Sony V1. Some wrap-around padding to thicken the diameter would do the trick, though.

That said, I absolutely love my NTG3 and use it inside a cage with a "dead wombat" furry thing ... which I guess is the way it is designed to be used.

Andrew
On many camera mounts even a 416 is to thin, many people use tape wrapped round and around....but a very easy simple fix is get 2 or 3 "O" rings to suit your mic from an auto parts store, most times its just right, fills the gap, looks neat and professional and only costs a few cents.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:01 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Herrick View Post
ya that is definitely out of the question, considering i only paid 800 for the camera body, i definitely want to keep the price around $200 as seeing my original budget of $100 seems a little far fetched for the quality that i want
Not a fair comparison.

A good camera will last about 3 years - maybe 5.

A good microphone will last 20 or 30 years minimum.

So spending on a good microphone makes sense as you will still be using it when your current camera is a mound of rust at the bottom of the landfill.

I still have microphones that I bought new in 1985 - and I have stgill buy that same mic. today - only it's a *lot* more expensive now.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM   #28
Major Player

I agree with John.

Do you only plan on making one movie then quitting forever? So why purchase gear as if that's what you're doing. A good mic will make any camera sound, and dare I say - look better. It's more expensive to buy some crap, then replace it later. You could start off with a mic that can be XLR, but doesn't need to be at first. The Rode NTG-2 is the best in it's class for around 269.00. It runs on battery, so you don't need phantom. You can get a XLR-to-Mini cable, and go straight into your little camera. Then when you get a professional camera later you can lose the adapter and just use XLR. Or get a mixer now and use XLR.

All this stuff can carry over to a pro camera later:

Rode NTG-2 269.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367747-REG/Rode_NTG_2_NTG_2_Battery_or_Phantom.html
Deadcat Wind Protection 39.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392861-REG/Rode_DEAD_CAT_Dead_Cat_Wind_Muff.html
Appropriate Shock Mount 79.00
Rycote 042902 InVision Video (1/4 Adapter) 042902 - B&H Photo

Adapter Cable 9.50
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/158476-REG/Hosa_Technology_XVM_101F_Mini_Stereo_Male_to.html
OR

Mixer (AGC Defeating) 419.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684281-REG/juicedLink_DT454_DT454_4_Channel_DSLR_Camera.html

Yes all this is 600.00 over your budget. But this is considered a bare bones kit. It's only 400.00 without the mixer. Just put the number "800.00" in your mind and let it marinate while you save for a month or two or three. You will be happy. I have never missed the money I put into good gear. I have been unhappy every time I have used gear I cheaped out on - every time. Setting an unrealistic budget will not make crap mics sound good. I got an NTG-3 for 700.00 and that's only a mid-level mic. I just set aside money here and there and before I knew it I had what I wanted. You have to program your own mind though.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:38 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Very good advice right there above...but don't forget to learn how to use your sound gear properly once you get it. As they say, a cheap mic in the right place will be better than a good mic in the wrong place....
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM   #30
Inner Circle

To me, the best value shotguns are...

* AT875R - small, very inexpensive
* NTG-2 - inexpensive, competent
* NTG-3 - poor man's 416, weatherproof
* CS-3e - simply amazing

On the cheap, and for on-camera use, the AT875R is a great choice. (I avoid on-camera as much as possible, but if traveling solo, this is a good way to capture local sounds.)

For boom use with a slightly higher budget than the AT875R, I'd get the NTG-2. Not great, but not bad either.

For improved sound and 100% outdoor use - especially if you might shoot in harsh conditions - move up to the NTG-3.

When sound matters more than money, the CS-3e is my dream mic. I tried it out at NAB and am sold. While the other mics would do fine isolating distant sounds outdoors, the CS-3E can handle dialog in the middle of a cacophony. It's not that the outside sounds will be eliminated, but they will be reduced while still sounding natural. (Outside sounds will be boomy with the other mics listed.) Couple that with an excellent on-axis sound, and you have an amazing microphone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio