Noise Removal - camcorder - please help! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM   #16
Major Player

Oh I also selected the area where the voices are and turned that up 6db.
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Trustee

FWIW the "auto-heal" function in Soundbooth makes the camera clicks go away very nicely. Not much help on the rest of the problem, I tried removing the hot lines from the spectrum and it removed most of the voice along with it....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Here's the whole file 16bit, 44.1 wav file:

http://darkwhite.com/downloads/noise...-FIX-RX_EQ.wav

I could have gone through and removed all the camera clicks but I didn't bother. I did a few.
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:05 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Chad,

Thanks much. Not sure I'd say one is better than another, just different. Funny - I tried hum elimination first followed by de-noise and got the sort of hollow sounding background so I changed tack and de-noised first on the grounds that the hum was already in the noise. I got a bit aggressive with reduction, just backing off when the voices got hollow sounding.

Then I ran a weak hum removal that helped a bit. Everything else I did to it brought back the hollow sounds. I didn't worry about the camera clicks

By the way, I e-mailed Mathius and asked him about his recording setup and he told me it was the built in mic to Ch 2 and an Oktava (camera mounted) to Ch1 via XLR. I'm going to try playing around with the separate tracks a bit, but I did notice that listening to individual tracks in mono gives better voice quality.

I wish I had a clue about where the noise came from - I would think interference on an unbalanced line, but with the same noiseprint on an XLR line and a built in mic I'm at a loss. Ground issue???? Camera was probably on battery.

I wish Izotope would keep a rogue's gallery of noise and what settings it took to banish it so you could listen to it and try to relate it to what you were working on.

By the way, which version were you using? I had V1 standard but took advantage of a discount and upgraded to V2 Advanced. First time I've used it so still a lot to learn.

Thanks again for posting.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:21 PM   #20
Major Player

Jim I have version 1, and plan on getting 2.

With audio restoration the forst step is always hum/rumble removal. It makes for less work for the noise removal plug. I've taken a few tutorials on noise removal and getting rid of the low stuff is always first.

So that sound wasn't happening in the room? I thought it was some big air conditioner. Anyway, yes mono is always more clear for dialogue. I would see what the Ocktiva alone sounds like. Otherwise maybe one channel of the on-board mic. The fact that the OP probably had AGC on made this even worse.

NEVER USE AGC - ALWAYS MANUAL AUDIO LEVELS.
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:10 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Yes, this was pretty bad! Good news is that he only seemed to care if the speech was understandable.

I'm wondering if there really was any official hum - this noise is so all over the place that it isn't clear what's what. As I understand it the hum removal works on the base frequency and it's harmonics - so if the harmonics aren't there as expected it might savage something else. Not sure I'm making any sense, but I thought I noticed that hum removal resulted in hollowness so I backed off..

Oh well, it's mostly black magic. Maybe the right idea is to just sacrifice a goat to the sound gods and get on with it.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:42 PM   #22
Major Player

There was hum and hum harmonics. I saw them disappear when I applied it.
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #23
Tourist

hey have any of you guys tried the W43 plugin? someone told me it's supposed to be really good for this kind of stuff. would love to hear it though from someone that has used it.
Adam Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #24
Major Player

I haven't tried it, but it looks like it only does some of the things RXII does. They sell the other things separately. But hey, if this is all you need take a gamble. I find that I end up using most of the methods of restoration in one project. Search Youtube, and you may find someone demoing the Waves thing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio