Audio line out from a Tascam DR-100 to a Canon 7D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 13th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #16
Major Player

Glad to be of assistance Ben!
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #17
Major Player

Canon 7D/T2i AGC Bypass Trick

YouTube - Canon 7D/T2i AGC Bypass Trick

Hey guys, I just found this and I was wondering if you guys ever tried this. Just curious.

Thanks and I hope to help somebody with this found.

Have a nice weekend!!

PS Thanks again Chad ;)
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #18
Major Player

Here's a more elegant solution: JL-DT454 [JL-DT454] - $419.00 : juicedLink, Unique and Trusted Solutions for Audio and Video Production

This JuicedLink mixer does the same thing, but also has XLR inputs and phantom and level control & meters. You'll be left with one channel like the example you just showed. Really if you want quality audio you don't want to capture it into a DSLR. But these methods will make the most out of a bad (audio) situation.
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
Here's a more elegant solution: JL-DT454 [JL-DT454] - $419.00 : juicedLink, Unique and Trusted Solutions for Audio and Video Production

This JuicedLink mixer does the same thing, but also has XLR inputs and phantom and level control & meters. You'll be left with one channel like the example you just showed. Really if you want quality audio you don't want to capture it into a DSLR. But these methods will make the most out of a bad (audio) situation.

Hey Chad,

Thanks much again for your input. For now I am using the Tascam. And I will need to use it for a while while I gather some more dough.

I added the DT454 to my B&H wishlist. It seems like a great solution.

Have you heard of this device?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/674344-REG/Beachtek_DXA_SLR.html
Have a nice weekend mate ;)
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tolosa View Post

Have you heard of this device?:

Beachtek DXA-SLR Active Audio Adapter DXA-SLR - B&H Photo Video

Have a nice weekend mate ;)
Ben I have not, but I just checked it out, and read some reviews. Some are complaining about a noisy signal, and some ground hums. I used to like Beachteck stuff, but found that Juicedlink usually has a cleaner signal path, but sometimes soesn't have all the bells & whistles like meters. I'd say the first place to start is to see if your particular DSLR can get firmware like Magic Lantern, to turn off AGC and use manual levels. Then you would not need a mixer like this. But aside from that, and you'll have to verify this yourself on any specific mixers you are considering, I have fond that previous Beachteck units I have used did not have any gain increase. They were mic level, and could only be turned down. The Juicedlink mixers could switch between mic & line level (versatility is awesome) and their levels could actually boost the signal somewhat. Maybe only 15db or so, but it outstripped the Beachteks in function and sound quality. I can't say for sure because I have used neither of these units, but I suspect that the JuicedLink is better. Again, if you can achieve manual level controls through firmware on your camera these specialized mixers for AGC won't be necessary. You could just use a regular mixer for a little cheaper.

Here's JuicedLink's youtube channel: YouTube - juicedLink's Channel

Robert alone is basically JuicedLink, and he is happy to answer questions. If you ask him to tell you why his AGC mixer is better than Beachteck's, he will be all over it I'm sure if he's not too busy.
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Chad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
Ben I have not, but I just checked it out, and read some reviews. Some are complaining about a noisy signal, and some ground hums. I used to like Beachteck stuff, but found that Juicedlink usually has a cleaner signal path, but sometimes soesn't have all the bells & whistles like meters. I'd say the first place to start is to see if your particular DSLR can get firmware like Magic Lantern, to turn off AGC and use manual levels. Then you would not need a mixer like this. But aside from that, and you'll have to verify this yourself on any specific mixers you are considering, I have fond that previous Beachteck units I have used did not have any gain increase. They were mic level, and could only be turned down. The Juicedlink mixers could switch between mic & line level (versatility is awesome) and their levels could actually boost the signal somewhat. Maybe only 15db or so, but it outstripped the Beachteks in function and sound quality. I can't say for sure because I have used neither of these units, but I suspect that the JuicedLink is better. Again, if you can achieve manual level controls through firmware on your camera these specialized mixers for AGC won't be necessary. You could just use a regular mixer for a little cheaper.

Here's JuicedLink's youtube channel: YouTube - juicedLink's Channel

Robert alone is basically JuicedLink, and he is happy to answer questions. If you ask him to tell you why his AGC mixer is better than Beachteck's, he will be all over it I'm sure if he's not too busy.

Wonderful, that is a great idea. I do have a Canon 7D and I cannot turn the AGC off :(

I just logged into youtube and sent Robert that question. I am pretty sure I will most likelly (unless something better or a firmware comes along to turn AGC off) go with the JL (after I make more tough), but I just like to learn more about this stuff.

I appreciate your answers, that are ALWAYS very helpful!!

Have a nice week Chad ;)
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #22
Sponsor: JuicedLink

I stumbled across this ... if there is something that you need, then always best to email me at the contact address on the juicedLink website. I don't check YouTube, and I'm only on the forums once in a while ...

Here's why I would choose the juicedLink DT454 over the other device you mentioned:
- More available low-noise gain
- control of 4 mic simultaneously (instead of 2)
- Meters (instead of a single indicator LED)
- Even more important, meters that you can adjust the sensitivity (since every camera is different in terms of where the meter needs to be calibrated)
- Power saving 12V phantom power mode

-R
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rozak View Post
I stumbled across this ... if there is something that you need, then always best to email me at the contact address on the juicedLink website. I don't check YouTube, and I'm only on the forums once in a while ...

Here's why I would choose the juicedLink DT454 over the other device you mentioned:
- More available low-noise gain
- control of 4 mic simultaneously (instead of 2)
- Meters (instead of a single indicator LED)
- Even more important, meters that you can adjust the sensitivity (since every camera is different in terms of where the meter needs to be calibrated)
- Power saving 12V phantom power mode

-R
Hey thanks for your answer. You sold it to me. I was going to go with it anyway, but this is exactly what I wanted to know and learn. The differences.

Have a great week and I look forward to hear more about that rig you are working on (specially its price).

BT
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio