ZOOM H4N Headphone split? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 4th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #16
Trustee

I see I left out one small detail in my original description that I have now edited:
The XLR adapter cable was plugged into the direct box's XLR output.
The direct box served to attenuate the signal coming from the H4n Line/Headphone Output down to the mic-only level that camera requires. Plus it allowed me to isolate the ground if necessary since the entire audio chain involved several different AC-powered devices.
It was simply the easiest way to make the connection and level change with the cables I had on hand.

I agree with you on the OP's situation.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #17
Trustee

I later tested a small headphone amp connected to the other 1/4-in TS end of the splitter cable that was carrying the H4n line/headphone output. That worked fine too, just as I expected.
Again for field or run-n-gun use you'd really need to invest in a custom adapter cable that could do all this without having to connect together so many pieces and separate adapters.
But as already mentioned you still wouldn't be monitoring off the camera directly so it might not be worth the effort if you will only use the camera track for sync.
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Jay

Finally got all the pieces together last night and hooked it all up and set the 5Dmk2 to Livemode.....nothing. I mean the camera was dead. I've got the battery vert grip and had not recharged the batteries since the last short shoot. But as you can imagine I figured the little experiment had killed the camera's circuit boards!! I said a little prayer and recharged the batteries while looking up procedure for sending the camera off for repair and figured I could use the 550D in the meantime ARGH!! But alas I put the two recharged batteries into the battery holder and switched the ON switch and it came to life. Will test other functionality tonight.

Think I'll do my next test of the headphone splitter using the 550D.

Basically have the Zoom stereo out into a stereo female splitter with one the headphones plugged into and the other the special Zoom headphone out to camera mic adaptor which plugs into the camera. I think it may have been a coincidence that the 5DMk2 wouldn't power up about the same time I was trying to test the output.......

But yes - will def test on the 550D first.....

Even if this works, the recrding on the ZOOM shouldn't be affected I wouldn't think.....question is whether the audio as played back is as good as that from the ZOOM.
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #19
Trustee

Kludging is well and good - but at some point, the hassles and quality degradation will bite you.

Before that happens, consider doing something simple, cheap and smart.

Look on Ebay. You'll find plenty of old style ENG mixers like the Shure M67s or even their ENG mixers.

You can often pick these up for peanuts.

A pair of these would give you 8-10 inputs of CLEAR audio and the proper outputs to feed your H4n with quality sound.

The H4n is a fine stereo/mono field recorder with VERY modest mixing capabilities. It's NOT really a true functional 4 track recorder in the way that's traditionally designated.

horses for courses.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #20
Major Player

They are transistor units which kinda scares me. I just wanted to go non-AC if at all possible. Going to Trew Audio tomorrow so maybe I can find some solutions there.
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #21
Trustee

Most of the old Shure mixers could also run on internal 9v batteries. I have an old M267 from the late 1970's that I removed the AC-power cord from, it has less noise when running on battery power and it was more convenient to carry around with no cord attached. Still works just fine.
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:26 PM   #22
Major Player

splitter, attenuator, 4 XLR mics into the ZOOM and output to the 5DMk2. Clean sound.
monitor what the Zoom is recording realtime so have a pretty good idea what the camera is "hearing".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio