DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   opinion about 2 ch mix pre sound devices (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/487116-opinion-about-2-ch-mix-pre-sound-devices.html)

David Aliperti November 7th, 2010 04:30 PM

opinion about 2 ch mix pre sound devices

is anyone using the mix preamp sound devices MixPre Compact Field Mixer | Sound Devices, LLC

what are your opinions?

what kind of works do you do mainly??

Chad Johnson November 7th, 2010 04:46 PM

It's a nice little unit. It has great limiters on input and output. I use it any time I'm feeding a camera audio on boom op jobs. It only puts out LINE level, so if your camera only takes MIC level inputs, you'll need an attenuator cable/adapter. It's the entry level Sound Devices mixer, and it does it's job well. It's worth the money if all you need are 2 channels.

Jay Massengill November 8th, 2010 01:43 PM

They are great for two-channel work. I've had mine for many years.
If you buy used keep in mind that the original version and the later version use different balanced wiring on the line-level XLR output.
So as mentioned if you need to attenuate down to a mic-level-only camera or recorder, you'll need the correct type of attenuator for the version you end up with.

Chad Johnson November 8th, 2010 01:53 PM

Jay can you be more specific about the output on older vs newer MixPres? Mine is 4-5 years old.

Jay Massengill November 8th, 2010 02:07 PM

You can spot the difference at a glance because they also changed the power-input connector at the same time they revised the balanced output wiring.
If your MixPre has a co-axial power input it's the old model. If it has a 4-pin power connector, it's the newer model. (I haven't kept up lately with any further changes, there could be an even newer model too)
The old model had an impedence-balanced output but the entire signal was carried on pin-2 only. So a traditional balanced attenuator won't have the desired amount of attenuation. (That's the one I have.) Or if you're using an odd unbalanced adapter that happened to be wired for pin-3 hot, you'll get no signal at all.
The new model used a traditional balanced output where the signal is carried on both pin 2 and pin 3 and a regular balanced attenuator with give the desired result.

David Aliperti January 31st, 2012 04:47 AM

Re: opinion about 2 ch mix pre sound devices (WHAT ABOUT MIX PRE D)

I am looking at the mix PRE D sound devices, is anybody using it? did not buy any mixer anymore, but have to make some documentary and need a good quality preamo to manage just boom and a lavalier adnt o get to a camera.
what about the usb output, does it allow me to use the mixer as audio interface, can I record directly in to logic for example? without to carry any other card?

Ty Ford February 4th, 2012 08:38 PM

Re: opinion about 2 ch mix pre sound devices

Ciao David,

Here's my review of the mixPre-D.

TVTechnology: Sound Devices MixPre-D Mixer

Regards,

Ty Ford

David Aliperti February 5th, 2012 04:57 AM

Re: opinion about 2 ch mix pre sound devices

thank you.