DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Phantom Power needed? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/487406-phantom-power-needed.html)

Harry Simpson November 12th, 2010 12:23 PM

Phantom Power needed?

I've found a good deal on some used mics. I've looked at the specs and see nothing on whether they require phantom power or not. Can one assume that all XLR mics require phantom power if they are condensor mics and don't take batteries?

My ZOOM H4n provides Phantom power for the two XLR inputs from mics neededing it. And I know my two wired lavs require it. If I use the back 3.5mm stereo plug in the back with a splitter to input two mono mics, I'm wondering if the mono mics will need to be battery powered?

But I can't figure out if these two mics I'm buying tomorrow require it or not

AudioTechnia ATM29HE
Sennheiser E865

Anyone know?

Battle Vaughan November 12th, 2010 12:52 PM

The Audio-Technica is a dynamic mike, no phantom required. The Sennheiser requires 12 to 48 volts phantom power.

Harry Simpson November 12th, 2010 01:45 PM

thanks for the quick response. That'll actually work out pretty good then. Should be able to slpit the two mics into let and right stereo input into the back of the Zoom. Kludge on!!

Paul R Johnson November 12th, 2010 02:14 PM

hang on - the stereo 3.5mm input does NOT have phantom, so splitting it is not ok - also, it's a line input isn't it? So it's not designed for mics anyway?

Phantom is carried across pins 2 and 3 on the 3 pin XLRs - so phantom mics won't work on a stereo 3.5mm line input because there's no power and nowhere near enough input. You just need to use the XLRs and forget the jacks.

Harry Simpson November 12th, 2010 03:37 PM

<<hang on - the stereo 3.5mm input does NOT have phantom, so splitting it is not ok >>
That's exactly wy splitting IS ok the way I see it. Two dynamic mics (both mono) coming into the left and right channels into one stereo mic input - which would effectively give you two tracks from this one input.

Then I also have the two XLR (Phantom capable) jacks on the bottom of the unit.

<< also, it's a line input isn't it? So it's not designed for mics anyway?>>
nope on the H4n it is a mic input

Battle Vaughan November 12th, 2010 04:08 PM

The AT is a neodium mike, so it has good output for a dynamic mike, but a powered condenser mike will have a higher output, so the two will be somewhat different....probably you can adjust for the different output levels, but you might want to put the at where it will get the closest or loudest input....you can look the specs up on line, the at is a discontinued model but Audio-Technica still lists the specs on their site. The Senny info can be found at bhphotovideo.com and, probably, at Sennheiserusa.com as well.