Another wireless Mic question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 16th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Another wireless Mic question.

Can someone please tell me what the purpose of having control over the sensitivity on the receiver is? If you set your transmitter to the correct level, is bringing up the sensitivity on the receiver adding gain? I'm guessing that it's there so you can adjust your levels if something changes, but not totally sure. Also, if you suddenly have clipping, does bringing down the levels on the receiver eliminate those peaks?
Dylan Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Strictly speaking, receiver sensitivity deals with its sensitivity to the RF signal from the transmitter and has nothing to do with the level of its audio output. An FM receiver puts out the same level of audio with a strong signal or weak one. If the transmitter is nice and strong, reduciing the receiver sensitivity might lower any background hiss thats present.

Clipping can occur at several points in the chain. If a loud sound causes the transmitter to clip at its input, nothing you do t the receiver will help. OTOH, if the receiver is putting out too high a signal, clipping can occur at the device it's feeding and in such cases lowering the receiver output levels will help.
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response. Is there any preferred setting for the receiver? I'm guessing I don't want to set it to "0" with my levels set perfectly with my transmitter.
Dylan Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Morgan View Post
Can someone please tell me what the purpose of having control over the sensitivity on the receiver is? If you set your transmitter to the correct level, is bringing up the sensitivity on the receiver adding gain? I'm guessing that it's there so you can adjust your levels if something changes, but not totally sure. Also, if you suddenly have clipping, does bringing down the levels on the receiver eliminate those peaks?
You don't normally have a sensitivity control on the receiver at all.

The *transmitter* has the sensitivity control so you can match the transmitter to the microphone level.

On the receiver you have an *output level* control to match the receiver to whatever to are sending the signal to - eg: mic. level, consumer line level or professional line level. It is normally best to output the receiver at line level for best quality and feed to a line level input.
Old November 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
You don't normally have a sensitivity control on the receiver at all.

Indeed, I should have mentioned that. I'm not aware of any wireless receivers that do have a sensiivity control but that's not to say they might not exist. There are other types of communications receivers that do have sensitivity adjustments - my Kenwood R-5000 does, for example - so was answering more generically. Thanks for clarifying.
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The sensitivity control on a communications receiver does the same job as the input gain on the mixer channel strip - just matches the input level to the level expected by the first amplification stage to optimise level matching - maximising signal to noise and minimising distortion.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio