One transmitter on speaker/two receivers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #1
New Boot

One transmitter on speaker/two receivers?

This weekend I am videotaping at an event where the speaker will be already wearing a wireless microphone (for the audience). I would like use my Sennheiser EW100 receiver on my Canon GL2.

This seems like it must be a common situation. My question is, should I plan on having the speaker wear my mic as well or is there a way to have my receiver pick up on the transmission from the other transmitter? If he wears two transmitters, will there be interference? Unfortunately, I won't know what type of unit they are using until I get there. What is the correct way to handle this situation?

Thank so much!
Rita
Rita Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #2

Plan on using your own transmitter/reciever. There is a possibility they'll have a splitter, and you can split the feed from their receiver off to your camera, but no way can your wireless receiver pick up their transmitter and keep good, stable audio throughout the event.
There should be no interference if he's wearing two transmitters, unless they happen to be extremely close in frequency, or their antenna's are crossed on his body.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #3
New Boot

Great, thank you. That's just what I needed to know!

Rita
Rita Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Plan on using your own transmitter/reciever. There is a possibility they'll have a splitter, and you can split the feed from their receiver off to your camera, but no way can your wireless receiver pick up their transmitter and keep good, stable audio throughout the event.
There should be no interference if he's wearing two transmitters, unless they happen to be extremely close in frequency, or their antenna's are crossed on his body.
I certainly agree that one shouldn't trust to luck that your wireless receiver will be the same brand, operating frequency, etc as the venue's system but assuming that it was, why do you say it wouldn't provide stable audio? Radio signals aren't affected by the number of receivers tuned in to them and if the speaker is wearing a wireless transmitter that is sending good audio to the receiver on the house system, why wouldn't it be sending equally good audio to an identical receiver plugged into a camera?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:52 AM   #5
Trustee

If the two sets are identical and on the same frequency block, it will work fine to use two receivers if they are set correctly. I think Douglas meant if they were different brands or models even if they are in the same frequency block. That would be no guarantee of stable operation.
Since the OP won't know til they get there, then it would be luck that the two sets were identical and they should plan accordingly.
If both transmitters are employed on the presenter, I would certainly keep them on opposite hips. The greater distance between them the better to reduce the chance they will interfere with each other. I would also have the presenter remove keys, change, pagers, cellphone etc. (They should be doing that anyway.)
Keep in mind that if there is a third transmitter in the room, you can have interference even if all 3 frequencies are different.
Every two transmitter frequencies combine to create a third frequency at a reduced power level. If you have bad luck, one of those resulting 3 additional ghost "transmitters" can interfere with one of your real transmitters.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill
If the two sets are identical and on the same frequency block, it will work fine to use two receivers if they are set correctly. I think Douglas meant if they were different brands or models even if they are in the same frequency block. That would be no guarantee of stable operation.
Exactly what I meant. And be sure to use coat pockets or outter hip areas, particularly if the person has some "girth." Additionally try to place the receiver as close to the person with the transmitter as possible and use long cable runs vs using long wireless runs.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio