Rode NTG-3 / NTG3 cold weather issue - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 9th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Rode NTG-3 / NTG3 cold weather issue

[QUOTE=Battle Vaughan;1598675 Possibly letting the mike acclimate to its surroundings before removing from it's nice metal case would help?[/QUOTE]

That's right .. to confirm their design specs Rode ran their initial testing like that without problems. How long you wait is a question, somewhat depends on the ambient temp.

Cheers.
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #17
Regular Crew

My experience was that the mic didn't work at all at a temp of around 45 Fahrenheit. I got to the location about 10 AM, started setting up and checking my gear about 11 AM. Mic was dead at that time. I checked it again after lunch, and it was still no good.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I've heard directly from Rode about this issue. Thanks, Allan! I must say, this is some great customer service. We bought the mic as an open box demo unit at a discount. We are returning it to the seller in exchange for credit toward a new, un-opened unit. I'm glad to help the folks at Rode figure out any potential issues with either the design or manufacture of these awesome little mic's.
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Mics going back for replacement early next week. I'll miss it while its gone, for sure!
Old April 14th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Balla View Post
I've heard directly from Rode about this issue. Thanks, Allan! I must say, this is some great customer service. We bought the mic as an open box demo unit at a discount. We are returning it to the seller in exchange for credit toward a new, un-opened unit. I'm glad to help the folks at Rode figure out any potential issues with either the design or manufacture of these awesome little mic's.
Cheers Andy.

BTW when you're down this way in Sydney here's a few things you must do .. not necessarily in this order.

1. Tour the Sydney Opera House, just an amazing building. As a bachelor I bought a one bedroom unit right opposite on the harbour in 1970 and had a party for the big opening. We supplied a harbour tugboat with hot water for their tea by passing a kettle across to the bridge out our front window.

2. Take the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb, book on line or soon as you get here. The Bradfield Highway across the bridge is designated as a Travelling Stock Route which means that it is permissible to herd livestock across the bridge, but only between midnight and dawn, and after giving notice of intention to do so. In practice, owing to the high-density urban nature of modern Sydney, and the relocation of abattoirs and markets, this has not taken place for approximately half a century. Not so sure about that last bit .. last new years eve ... but that's another story.

3. Go and visit the Rode Plant at Silverwater, a 30 minute drive from the CBD. The coffee alone is well worth the trip. RØDE Rockin' Roast Peter Freedman does that extremely well too.
Old April 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Sounds like fun! Let me know if anyone wants to hire me as a boom op down there! Where did I put my passport?
Andy Balla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio