DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Computer Speakers for Non-Audio Editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/488578-computer-speakers-non-audio-editing.html)

Kevin Dooley December 7th, 2010 12:17 PM

Computer Speakers for Non-Audio Editing

Assuming that the main audio edit is going to happen with proper monitors in a room dedicated to it, I'm looking to get some video editing stations some fairly flat speakers without breaking the bank. What are some good options in $150-$200 range?

Gerry Gallegos December 7th, 2010 01:40 PM

Your budget wont get you anything remotely flat.

However don't take that as a negative, most people aren't accustomed to listening to "flat" speakers, that being said. take some nice reference music or a CD with some movie and go audition some powered speakers at your local best buy or guitar center, pick the ones that sound the best to you in your price range.
for what you are doing and expecting even high end computer speakers should do you nicely.

there are quite a bit of choices out there pick the ones you like and run with it, and learn how they sound with known material (your favorite music or your favorite movies) that you consider to be really well produced sonically, and just learn their characteristics.

Keep in mind that which ever speakers you chose you need amplification, so its probably best to look into powered system.

Best of luck

Kevin Dooley December 7th, 2010 03:06 PM

Would it be better to look at higher end computer 2.1 systems or something like the Behringer MS40s, MAudio AV40s or the Alesis M1 Active 520s?

Kevin Walsh December 7th, 2010 05:22 PM

Hi Kevin, if you don't mind used stuff, try Craigslist. There always seems to be some struggling musician who is selling off his stuff for half of what he paid.

Jay West December 7th, 2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Dooley (Post 1595941)
Would it be better to look at higher end computer 2.1 systems or something like the Behringer MS40s, MAudio AV40s or the Alesis M1 Active 520s?

You might want to look at the M-Audio BX5a. I think B&H is sells them for $235 a pair including shipping. Though slightly above your suggested budget, these powered speakers work well for editing. They are about as neutral as you'll get in this price range. I got a pair of them a year ago on the recommendation of a friend who has 30+ years doing sound for movie and tv production.

Jon Fairhurst December 7th, 2010 06:02 PM

For cheap computer speakers, I like Yamahas, Altec Lansing, and JBL. They all have a pro sound heritage, so they don't put out junk under their brand names. And, if you can get a system with a subwoofer, you can adjust the bass down so it's not too boomy.

I'm not saying that these brands offer studio monitor quality, but that's not what you're looking for in this price range and application.

Battle Vaughan December 7th, 2010 06:47 PM

My paper uses Edirol MA15D speakers at the video edit stations, they are very satisfactory. Analog and digital inputs, and subwoofer output terminal (which we didn't feel a need to use). Construction and features, as well as the audio quality are quite nice.

Are they reference monitor speakers for a critical audio production facility?

I don't suppose they are, but they work wonderfully at the edit station....and I wonder who, in the absence of sensitive measuring equipment, could tell the difference, which would be fairly small, I suspect. I have noticed, particularly with audio and video equipment, that there is a point at which a particular piece of equipment will do the job perfectly adequately, and a much larger expenditure does not often buy a concomitant increase in utility

Reeely cheap doesn't do it, of course, but reeeeely expensive is often not worth the dollar differential. I recall microphone tests in which $150 mikes sound essentially the same as $1500 mikes, for example....unless you have to "impress" someone, adequacy is sufficient....my two cents....

Jim Andrada December 7th, 2010 08:55 PM

Well - maybe the person you're trying to impress is the listener. Do you get a 10x improvement in quality for a 10x "improvement" in budget? Almost certainly not. But if the improvement is significant, then the $1500 mics might be a bargain. All depends on what you're recording and for what audience. Ditto for audio editing, which is probably how you define adequacy - what you need to spend depends on what you're doing with the gear.

Allan Black December 7th, 2010 09:48 PM

Kevin do you mean actual audio editing not mixing? If so I use headphones to hear every detail. These http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477843-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M50_ATH_M50_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio.html were recommended here by Ty Ford, he's correct and they're great for long sessions.

But for mixing, speakers everytime .. don't know any in your price range. I'm using Adam A7s.

Have plan B ready in case your original assumptions don't pan out. HtH.

Cheers.

Sareesh Sudhakaran December 7th, 2010 10:00 PM

What you're looking for is the Yamaha MSP3 monitor (USD 150 approx). Good enough for flat editing work.