need help to set up 702 with 302 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 17th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Tourist

need help to set up 702 with 302

Hi,

Over the summer we completed production of a short film. After our 10 day shoot, we logged our audio and noticed the audio was realllllly low. There were no visible wave forms. Anyway, we are going to do ADR/looping/V.O. for that audio.
In 2 weeks we start production again, again with the 702 recorder and the 302 mixer. Today we had a rehearsal for all departments and for some reason the recorder would not connect with the mixer. levels would show on the mixer by not on the recorder. So, we just recorded sound straight to the recorder after setting up appropriate settings. Our audio came out the same as it did from our first production.

Can someone PLEASE, for the LOVE OF GOD, help me out! I need to know the following:
- what internal settings i should set on the recorder to
- how to properly connect with the mixer
- set the levels on the recorder
basically a step by step on how to assemble and set everything.

I very much appreciate the help!
THANK YOU!
Mike Gugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Trustee

Mike,
I am not sure I understand your set up and who is running the audio department. You should have that department take care to learn how the gear they are using works. If they don't have audio recording experience then you should find someone who does. Audio gear requires adjustment as the situation changes and that is part of the job which your crew seems to be lacking so far.
You might be able to go to the dealer where you got your gear to learn how to use it but it sounds like your crew needs to learn basic audio production techniques as well.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Tourist

All I need to know is what basic settings (format, set tone level, input type....) the recorder should be on in order to record for film, which cables should be connecting the mixer and recorder, and what setting i should put the switches to (line, mic...)

Please dont be concerned with our audio department. This information is primarily for my own knowledge, i just need to know how to get this stuff to work. Im using this forum as an extra source of information.
Mike Gugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gugger View Post
All I need to know is what basic settings (format, set tone level, input type....) the recorder should be on in order to record for film, which cables should be connecting the mixer and recorder, and what setting i should put the switches to (line, mic...)

Please dont be concerned with our audio department. This information is primarily for my own knowledge, i just need to know how to get this stuff to work. Im using this forum as an extra source of information.
Set 702 to record WAV files, uncompressed, your choice of 16 or 24 bit, 48kHz sample rate. 302 XLR main out connects to 702 XLR inputs. 302 outputs set to line level out (default), 702 input switches set to line level. Turn on tone on the mixer. Adjust 702's input level pots so the tone reads -20dBFS on the recorder's meters and don't touch them after that. Turn off tone. Set mixer meter ballistics to VU or peak/VU. Setting one mic at a time, set each live mic channel fader to zero, the centre of its dial rotation. Adjust the mic's coarse gain (trim) pot so that normal speech from the talent causes the continuous line of illuminated LEDs to just reach into the orange zone (0VU+) on the meter on average. Use the fader to ride gain during the scene so speech stays in the orange. The recorder's meters should be bouncing in the -10 vicinity on normal speech when they're set with tone reading -20.
Old December 18th, 2010, 06:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Steve,

That was amazingly concise, helpful and accurate. Hats off!
Cheers!
-a
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi Mike,
Also check that phantom power is set to OFF in the 702 menu when you are using it with the 302.Good luck, Neil
Neil Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Do not confuse the mixer's meter scale settings with that of the recorder. The mixer should read (by default) 0VU (first orange LED on the meter scale) if no one has fussed with the internal set-up parameters.
In addition, confirm that the 302's output attenuation LED is NOT lit. On the output side of the 302, between the 'Tape Out and 'Mix In". Again, if no one has fussed with the set-up parameters. If you do need to access the set-up parameters, see the manual for the dance moves. Otherwise the inexperienced should not go there.
PS- Another parameter easily overlooked is the 3-way 'Limit' switch on the front panel. For normal dialog recording, this should NOT be set to 'Link'.
Cheers
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Inner Circle

And check that the 702's LED scale is showing reasonable recording levels that move in sort of sync with the 302's.

If the 302 LED's look good but the 702 LED's are way low, then you've clearly got something hosed up in setup.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Inner Circle

To clarify what I stated: "The mixer should read 0VU (first orange LED on the meter scale"
I was referring to the calibration tone. Sorry for any confusion.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sd702 / sd302

Without meaning to sound trite; it's worth reading the Manuals for this equipment. Both User Manuals for the Sound Devices 302 & 702 (I have both...) are very well written and very easy to follow. If you don't have access to the printed versions, then you can download them from the Sound Devices website: Download Images, User Guides, and Logos | Sound Devices, LLC . Once set up correctly the audio quality from these two little gems is truly stunning. 48kHz / 24bit (for me at least) is the best setting for most situations - certainly for audio for video..

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio