On camera mic for Sony HVR Z7U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Perhaps I should have said learn only what is relevant to me at this time instead of what I need. For example, I would be more interested in Chapter 7 of the book and perhaps few other pages and not go deep into the rest because they are relevant to me at this time.

Anyway, I ordered the book from Amazon today and I will study it. Loks like it would come handy. Thanks for taking to time to give me advice. I sincerely appreciate it.
Azadul Haq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #17
Major Player

Azadul, when it comes to audio recording for video some basic understanding of the physics of traveling sound waves is essential. In the field or in the studio, you will live with it every time you push the recording button. Here is what I've learned:

-Reading up on books about audio as Steve suggested.
-Don't worry too much about what type of mics to use or what brand or model because....
-What normally differentiates good audio recording from bad one is THE PLACEMENT or POSITIONING of the mic and the SURROUNDING ACOUSTICS of where you record the audio. Anything else in my opinion is just not as critical and often is the areas that you can compromise in without ruining you work. And because of this, don't be too concerned if you are for any reason forced to use some cheap or "amateurish" gear with your camera for your work. Just to give you some example, a $70 Sony Handycam stereo(!) condenser mic (can't remember the model) plugged into your camera via the 1/8" mini jack, the recording level properly controlled, appropriate wind protection for the environment put on, the sound source 1-2 feet in front of the camera and bravo! you can have a nice, decent sounding video without having to spend more on even the cheapest mic you mentioned. The money saved can then be spent on a digital recorder, a nice pair of monitoring headphones or whatever.

Hope this helps.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio