Sony GV-D1000 no audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 29th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #1
New Boot

Sony GV-D1000 no audio

I haven't used my Sony deck for awhile and cannot figure out why I cannot record audio along with video. I am trying to run my Final Cut timeline off to the deck. I am using the FC "edit to tape" function, and a firewire connection. The deck recognizes the timeline and records the video. But when I play it back, there is no audio. The volume switch is all the way up on the deck. Some setting is wrong, but I cannot seem to figure out what. Please advise.
Buff Corsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Just guessing here, but are you sure the firewire connection carrys both audio and video? Maybe I just need my morning coffee but something is nagging in the back of my head that's telling me most computer's firewire output carries video only and you need to run audio from your soundcard's line out to a deck's audio inputs separately.
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Sony GV-D1000 no audio

That's not it, because I've run audio and video into the Mac using this firewire from a similar deck. Thanks for the thought. The mystery continues.
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think Firewire should always carry audio or else you wouldn't be able to capture from tape.

Have you tried playing the tape in another device to see if the sound is there? Or re-capturing from the deck? And you've confirmed that the rendered file on the Mac, pre-export, does indeed contain the audio?
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #5
New Boot

Yes, I've also made a Quick Time version of the timeline, and it plays fine.

This all started when I made a program that consists of a variety of old SD video clips, a little bit of HD video, plus some stills. I am doing this for a presentation in February. I burned a DVD using Compressor without any problems except that the process of turning it into a DVD degraded the image unacceptably. So my next thought was to back up and just show the QT file from my hard drive through a projector. But, being the nervous type, I wanted to have a physical backup such as a better DVD or a tape.

My thinking now is that the Mac is not recognizing the tape deck since this morning, trying it once again, I'm no longer getting the video either.

If no one out there has "been there done that" I'll call Apple and/or Sony. And thanks for taking the time for me.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #6
New Boot

I realized part of my problem (no video and no audio) was caused by not having the deck connected and on before starting up the Mac and FCP. So I did that in the proper order and the video is back, but still no audio...... 8-(
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:21 PM   #7
New Boot

Just to follow up and finish this thread...I ultimately discovered the proper sequence and settings to achieve "print to tape" onto a Sony DV-G1000, thanks to a post on another thread and something I found by googling. Anyway, the secret is in the sequence of turning on the equipment:

1) Start up Mac
2) Plug in deck or camera
3) Turn on deck or camera
4) Open up Final Cut to proper timeline
5) File>Print to Tape

Finally, success!! I find this unnecessarily arcane, but perhaps this will help someone else.
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Try reversing 2 and 1 and see if it works. If it does, that would be much safer, as FW is notorious for shorting out and blowing out your ports while hot-plugging. You should always make all your connections while nothing is powered on.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:37 PM   #9
New Boot

Good point. I'll give it a try.
Old January 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM   #10
Trustee

Your settings in final cut may result in similar issues like this.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio