DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sennheiser MKH-60 P48 in Rode Blimp (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/490035-sennheiser-mkh-60-p48-rode-blimp.html)

Paul Cronin January 11th, 2011 07:03 PM

Sennheiser MKH-60 P48 in Rode Blimp

Has anyone used a Sennheiser MKH-60 P48 in a Rode Blimp?

The Rode specs say 12 3/4" long mics which is the Sennheiser length. So do you need a 90 degree XLR on the end of the mic?

Brian P. Reynolds January 11th, 2011 09:45 PM

I have a 416 in a Rode blimp and a MKH 60 in a Rycote blimp... just done a trial swap and yes the 60 will fit into the Rode blimp with a straight XLR connector with PLENTY of room to spare.

Paul Cronin January 12th, 2011 07:27 AM

Thank you Brian for doing the swap appreciate your time helping, Nice to know the MKH 60 fits, I will now order the Rode Blimp.

John Willett January 12th, 2011 08:58 AM

Personally I would get the Rycote S-series instead of the Rode - it's cheaper with a superior suspension and will most likely last a lot longer.

Paul Cronin January 12th, 2011 09:51 AM

Thanks for your input John. But what I have read and heard from two sound people I know the Rode is better in high wind conditions which I shoot in often.

John Willett January 13th, 2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Cronin (Post 1606778)
Thanks for your input John. But what I have read and heard from two sound people I know the Rode is better in high wind conditions which I shoot in often.

The Rode will be better in high wind conditions because it is a large windshield with a large volume of air.

The shockmount is not as good, though.

In those conditions I would get a Rycote Kit 4, but it's more expensive (though likely to be cheaper in the long run as it will very likely long outlast the Rode and virtually any Rycote bit is available as a spare part).

And the Rode is heavier...

Paul Cronin January 13th, 2011 12:04 PM

Thanks John but I already purchased the Rode Blimp. I do have the Rycote grip, shock mount, and Softie that go with the mic. My plan is to improve the Rode with these parts if I feel the need.

Graham Bernard January 15th, 2011 02:41 PM

Been running that Rode Blimp with a MK66K6 Senni with a Senni Tx Butt Plug. Yeah it's weighty, but the send Tx to the camera Rx is great for my Boom man not to get tangled in cabling.

The sound is really "still" on average windy days, and with the Senni mic it's a nice combo.

Grazie

Paul Cronin January 16th, 2011 09:13 AM

Thanks Grazie,

I have been testing with my MKH-60 P48 and am very impressed with this mic. The Rode Blimp should show up this week.

Allan Black January 18th, 2011 04:24 PM

A Rode Blimp in Rhode Island .. I like it :)

Interesting side note to having the Blimp cancel ALL the wind when the trees are blowing around like crazy.

For interviews and the like, it's worth recording and keeping some tracks of various levels and degrees of wind so you can lay some up in post, to match the windy look of the scene. Actually it's not that easy to do .. but it doesn't have to be that exact, ppl will accept it and it helps the atmosphere.

LOL but try telling that to the news guys.

Cheers.

Paul Cronin January 18th, 2011 06:41 PM

Allen you make a great point of recording ambient sound with a windy day. I try and do the same as in studio and ask for quite time with 2 min of ambient.

My first gig with the Blimp will be in FL on the water with some wind.

Tested the blimp outside today and like the results, wind 30 kts.

Lots of room with the Sennheiser MKH60 inside.