Should i use Mono headset to monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 12th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should i use Mono headset to monitor?

This may be stupid a stupid question, do headphone exist where you can switch off one side? I find having the headset on my head with the right hand can not on my ear uncomfortable after a short while.

I have been recording audio using my Zoom H4n + Rode NTG2 and im getting very distracted by a hissing noise in my right headphone whilst monitoring the audio.

Now i assume this is because i am recording a mono track with the shotgun mic and there is no information coming through the right speaker.

- If a you cant get a set where you can switch one side off, Would a decent set of headphones stop me from hearing this hiss?

Or should i look at some decent in ear headphone buds so I can easily wear just one?
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I frequently wear headphones off the ear on the unrecorded channel, especially when paying attention to a young reporter's questions.
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bridgens View Post
...I have been recording audio using my Zoom H4n + Rode NTG2 and im getting very distracted by a hissing noise in my right headphone whilst monitoring the audio.

Now i assume this is because i am recording a mono track with the shotgun mic and there is no information coming through the right speaker...
I would be inclined to get rid of the hiss first. If you have upgraded the firmware of the H4n, you can now control the XLR inputs separately and can turn the down the level of the unused channel.

You don't say how you are monitoring the audio, from the H4n or from the camera? Either way it sounds like you have recorded a track of hiss as well as the NTG-2 audio. A specially wired cable could take care of passing only the NTG-2 signal from the H4n to the camera if you wanted.

Even when recording a mono signal, I prefer to monitor it with both ears, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; January 12th, 2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added a bit
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Colin - updated my firmware and now it has gone! I didnt realise that it would be recording track two even when there is no input connected.

I am monitoring the audio from the H4n's line out directly.

Are in ear buds any good for monitoring though ( i mean decent ones, not apple iPod ones!). Having the headset half on my head drives me nuts as it balances funny.

Unless you can recommend a decent pair of cans that are perhaps lighter/ more suited to monitoring in the field as well as editing at a desk?
Old January 12th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bridgens View Post

Are in ear buds any good for monitoring though ( i mean decent ones, not apple iPod ones!).
I have been using Sony in-ear buds exclusively for NON-music content monitoring in the field for 12 years. $20 at my local electronics big box. For speech primarily, they give me everything I need and the comfort for prolonged wearing, INCLUDING under ClearCom when I was doing live news "hits"

Be aware, I am NOT talking about the special bass enhanced stuff, just plain jane ear buds with the lowest impedance I could find... I BELIEVE I use 16 ohm, although 50 ohm seems to come to mind as well. Certainly not higher than that. They are as good as MY hearing is at least, given that I'm listening for intelligibility, distortion and noise NOT for accurate equalization. For that I have a set of flat AudioTechnica headphones.
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Major Player

These are awesome cans, and one side articulates to move the pad off your ear.

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II - headphones - Ear-cup, Binaural - DVeStore
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Trustee

Just beat me to it, Chad. These are the ones I use for monitoring with a pair of cheapos very similar to Shaun's if I am taking a small camcorder with me on a family outing and travelling light.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks guys - very helpful!

Sadly i have just had to spend £500 on a new exhaust / catalytic converter on my car today, so I will have to save up for the sennheisers.
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Major Player

I have a messed up head ( yeah, yeah...I know..heard it all before; from my wife) from cancer surgery, and I can't stand wearing headphones...painful. I use a pair of Shure E2C earbuds all the time for monitoring, and just leave one plug out. They really work well at isolating ambient noise, almost too well. If I have them both in my ears, I can't hear anything the mic isn't picking up
Wayne Reimer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio