DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   RØDE PinMic Song (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/490438-rode-pinmic-song.html)

Chad Johnson January 20th, 2011 02:40 PM

RØDE PinMic Song

Well here it is. With no prompting from Rode I decided to make this song/video for the heck of it because business is slow and I have a lot of time on my hands this month.

Drums by Justin Hoopes. Everything else by Chad Johnson.

So I got myself this thing called a “PinMic” from Rode Microphones. It’s a kind of lavalier that is less visible than your typical lavalier because the cables go behind your clothes, and the capsule just sits on your shirt or jacket looking like a button or something. I thought they sounded pretty good, so on a lark I decided to record a whole song using only the Rode PinMic (for most tracks), the Lavalier (on lead guitar and kick drum) and their Hs1 headset mic (on backing vocals). It was an exercise to show that used the right way, you can get a great recording without using the traditional high priced studio mics that are the norm. Not that I would really choose a PinMic to use in the studio, but it does show that it’s a pretty decent mic. I think it’s hecka tight.

Andrew Smith January 20th, 2011 10:07 PM

Awesome.

Couldn't help myself but leave a voicemail message for Craig at Rode. He'll get a real kick out of it.

Andrew

Chad Johnson January 20th, 2011 10:30 PM

Cool Andrew!

Andrew Smith January 21st, 2011 12:39 AM

Hopefully they might even reward you with whatever Rode mics you don't own yet. :-P

Andrew

Ray Barber January 21st, 2011 12:47 AM

Hopefully they might even reward you with whatever Rode mics you don't own yet.

Not to mention a Grammy. That was excellent.

Paul Cronin January 21st, 2011 09:21 AM

WOW! Chad that was fantastic.

Rob Katz January 21st, 2011 10:39 AM

chad-

very well done

please take a well earned bow.

(shot w/your ex1?)

be well

rob

Renton Maclachlan January 21st, 2011 12:17 PM

Yeah, excellent. Are you in Rode pay? :-)

Chad Johnson January 21st, 2011 01:55 PM

Thanks guys!

Andrew it would be nice to get my pick of mics. I hinted to Scott Emerton about the NT2000, and I think he'll send me one. If you want to put in a word for me for a matched pair that would be awesome!

Rob, yes the video was shot with my EX1, and edited in FCP and Apple Motion. Some tracks I recorded then lip synced on video, or play synced. The Lead guitar, Xylophone, shaker, & drums were recorded into Cubase & on camera at the same time, so what you see is what you hear. The lead track was take 6, as it's hard to get the whole thing all the way through with no mistakes. Drums were in 3 takes mixed together. After that my girlfriend was pissed and I had to stop and clean up.

Renton, I don't know what being "in Rode Pay" is but if there were some way I could work for Rode for actual money that would be a dream come true. My Girlfriend is tired of me cluttering up the house recording drums with PinMics and having lights and cameras everywhere, so she says it's OK for me to move to Australia and send my checks home. She didn't mention anything about missing me...

This was really just a work of pleasure for me. I'd record one or two tracks on a weekend, then forget about it and kept going like that until it was done. I have my own "regular" songs that I may do a video for eventually, but I enjoy making jingles and doing stuff with a comedic edge. I figure that will go further than a 44 year old trying to break into pop music! Ha. I do have a number about how Autotune is Satan, but I don't think Anteres would appreciate that one. Ha ha.

Here's that song if anyone is interested: Sexy Satan (Autotune) Chad Johnson at HumboldtMusic.com

Cheers

Jonathan Bufkin January 21st, 2011 03:40 PM

What a great mic for events. Thanks for mentioning!

Jon Fairhurst January 21st, 2011 04:03 PM

That was awesome!

I was expecting a solo voice and guitar like you've done in some other reviews here. Those are way fun, but this was over the top. Love it!

Reed Gidez January 21st, 2011 04:30 PM

Well done Chad!

You can tell the fine folks at Rode that your video sold me on TWO pin mics!

Chad Johnson January 21st, 2011 04:41 PM

Thanks Reed. And good on you for getting a couple! I honestly have not used my Sanken COS11D since I got my Lavalier/pinmics. The sound is really balanced IMO. Clear without being harsh, and full without being muddy.

Simon Denny January 22nd, 2011 05:57 AM

Cool video and song. I have been trying to purchase a pin mike here in Sydney and do you think I can find one. Who is distributing these in Sydney?

Andrew Smith January 22nd, 2011 08:47 AM

I don't know about Sydney, but videoguys.com.au in Melbourne should have them.

Andrew