DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   oktava MK012 manufactured in China (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/49048-oktava-mk012-manufactured-china.html)

Steve Watnet August 9th, 2005 02:39 AM

oktava MK012 manufactured in China

So...I called the local Guitar Center and spoke to a self-avowed microphone snob about the oktava MK012.

She said a couple years ago, the manufacturing was moved from Russia to China, and the quality really deteriorated at that time. The microphones went from sounding like really expensive mics to being merely a good value.

Can anyone confirm this or speak to this ?

Konst Seraf August 10th, 2005 01:54 PM

I do not know for sure, but i live at territory of former Soviet Union, I can tell you for 99% that this not true.
First, the factory producing these microphones is an old one with traditions. These people dont give a (*) about dirty tricks, they just like to do what they know and like. Especially in Tula, where Octavas are made. This is the town where most of russian handheld fireweapons are produced.
Second, the workforce in Russian provinces (not Moskow) costs same as in China, (but has many advantages). I repeat here words of one russian peson that runs factory in China. So, there is no, really no reason to move production from Tula to anywhere, excepts, to compromise quality.
Third, there is special information for customers concerning the problem. Please, give a look:
http://oktava.tula.net/news/reliz_eng.htm

Dave Largent August 10th, 2005 02:32 PM

That's very good information, Konst. I wonder if
Guitar Center is selling any of the Chinese ones?

Greg Boston August 10th, 2005 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konst Seraf
I do not know for sure, but i live at territory of former Soviet Union, I can tell you for 99% that this not true.
First, the factory producing these microphones is an old one with traditions. These people dont give a (*) about dirty tricks, they just like to do what they know and like. Especially in Tula, where Octavas are made. This is the town where most of russian handheld fireweapons are produced.
Second, the workforce in Russian provinces (not Moskow) costs same as in China, (but has many advantages). I repeat here words of one russian peson that runs factory in China. So, there is no, really no reason to move production from Tula to anywhere, excepts, to compromise quality.
Third, there is special information for customers concerning the problem. Please, give a look:
http://oktava.tula.net/news/reliz_eng.htm

Thank you Konst for that valuable information to our forum. I will recommend that this link be placed in a sticky thread at the top with the appropriate warning to get its attention.

-gb-

Chris Hurd August 10th, 2005 05:11 PM

This forum's moderator (Spot) is currently attending the WEVA Expo in Las Vegas, but per Greg's suggestion I have made this a "sticky" for now.

Matt Gettemeier August 11th, 2005 06:10 AM

Your best bet is to get them from sound-room.com where they offer Oktavas which are tested for quality at $173 each (with one cap).

I've been a happy customer of theirs and I've promoted the Oktava as an alternate choice to cheap shotguns for a while now... (I don't get anything from them, I just think it's the best option for many shooters)... so anyway, yesterday they sent me an email about the mics and said that if I wanted to post this I could:

Enter this coupon code at checkout. "DV" That's the code and it gets you an extra 5% off... which will at least cover your shipping... or else it makes your Oktava $165...

The smaller "pro" shops appreciate your support and that's the best place I can think of to get a tested Oktava mic.

Matt Gettemeier August 12th, 2005 08:31 AM

I forgot to say you can get it with one HYPER-CARDIOID cap... which, in my opinion, is about the only one you need anyway.

How many people do you know who use a Schoeps and get the cardioid cap in addition to the MK41 HYPER cap? Hypers are for interiors... You buy the Oktava for interiors and 'cause you can't afford a Schoeps... or you want a mic with some of the Schoeps qualities for situations that may be too risky for your Schoeps.

Those are the only reasons to get an Oktava... and the reason you (mostly) only need the hyper cap... and the reason that it's such a good deal at sound-room.

Guitar Center's one-cap Oktavas are CARDIOID only... you'd have to spend another $70-$80 to add the hyper cap to your kit... and then you'd probably never use the cardioid cap... meaning you'd spend MORE for an Oktava of uncertain origin if you buy it from Guitar Center.

Dave Largent August 12th, 2005 09:28 AM

Where do you see a good use for a cardioid, Matt?
Just wondering.
I just got my first hyper (Jay recommended) because
generally I haven't been happy with my cardioid for
interior work.

Matt Gettemeier August 12th, 2005 04:52 PM

Pretty much the only time I use cardioid is for recording live music and location ambience... and then I use a pair of cardioids in ORTF. Don't confuse ambient soundbed with room tone or location tone though... Always record room tone or location tone with the same mic you used to get dialog.

If you go to a busy intersection or nature preserve, for that soundbed, a cardioid works great.

In both of those situations the hyper would still be good enough... Really I can't think of too many times that I specifically want the cardioid over something else... aside from live music... then it's my first choice.

Matt McGlynn September 3rd, 2005 06:25 PM

the full Guitar Center / Oktava story

The answer to the question "is Guitar Center selling Chinese-made Oktava mics" is definitely yes. It's a long story, told in some detail here:

http://debris.com/journal/1274 (part 1 of 6)

The conclusion, told in a memo leaked to me by a Guitar Center employee, is that GC is liquidating remaining stock of Chinese "Oktava" mics and severing ties with the UK firm Oktava LTD. Read about that here:
http://debris.com/journal/1336 (part 6 of 6)

Guitar Center has dropped prices on all these mics -- so if you know what you're getting into and you like the sound (note: there's a blind A/B comparison linked to from part 4), move quickly.

To be clear, the message Steve Watnet heard from a GC salesperson: "the manufacturing was moved from Russia to China, and the quality really deteriorated at that time" is incorrect or at least misleading in most respects.

Matt Gettemeier September 5th, 2005 07:02 PM

I can't believe I forgot to post this, but you DEFINITELY WANT TO GET YOUR OKTAVA FROM SOUND-ROOM... There is a clear and obvious difference between the REAL Oktava and the "fake" ones... The Chinese Oktavas are NOT real Oktavas and you're just getting something else.

CLICK THIS Oktava Link.

Matt McGlynn September 6th, 2005 12:09 AM

another source for Russian oktavas

I've had great experiences buying OAO Oktava products (that is, genuine Russian Oktava mics) from Ken at OktavaUSA.com. I believe he's the official US dealer now.

http://www.oktavausa.com/

Glenn Chan September 6th, 2005 12:33 AM

I took a listen to the samples provided on that webpage and the two mics sound pretty close.

Contrary to the author's opinion, I do like the real mic better (slightly) but to each his own I suppose.

Ty Ford January 18th, 2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
This forum's moderator (Spot) is currently attending the WEVA Expo in Las Vegas, but per Greg's suggestion I have made this a "sticky" for now.

This is a very old topic. Years old. Oktava's ARE coming out of China. Whether they are "real" or "fake" isn't that much of a point. They have always been cheap mics with QC problems whether they came through McKay in the UK through Harris to the US or from the Sound Room. Among others, the Rode's are far better.

As it pertains to DVI (The V standing for video), the mc012 or mk012 is a SD mic that can be had with hypercardioid capsules. They are very sensitive to handling noise. You have to be really good with one on a boom and have a good suspension mount not to make noise.

I do know of a few location sound guys who have reported using them in situations where they don't want to put their Schoeps in harm's way. So, yes, they do see work, but don't confuse them with the real deal.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Andreas Griesmayr July 30th, 2006 03:43 AM

In a few days I will arrive in Shanghai and wonder...will I be able to score any cheap but good mics?

TyFord doesn't like the Octavas too much, if 'real' ones or 'fake', but I wonder, are the 'fake' ones really worse?
In Shanghai, to my knowledge, Sound Projects produce and the chinese only SE Electronics..

Just again, it will be impossible to tell which one is 'real', which 'fake'.

In case of any finds I shall report.