Zoom H4n - 1 XLR input to 2 tracks/control levels on tracks 3 & 4 independently? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom H4n - 1 XLR input to 2 tracks/control levels on tracks 3 & 4 independently?

I'm just working through the operations of the H4n and have a couple of questions:

- In 4 channel mode, is it possible to record the input from XLR 1 onto tracks 3 & 4 simultaneously?

- In 4 channel mode, can the levels of tracks 3 & 4 be adjusted independendly of each other?

From what I can see, I'm pretty sure that the answer to both these questions is no, but it would be great if I'm missing something.
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Major Player

why would you need a mono mic recorded onto two tracks? you can just pan track 3 to center in post... unless maybe you want one track at a lower gain for a safety track? hmmm... that would be a good idea!!!
in multitrack mode, input 1 can record to two tracks but will have only the one gain adjustment as it is only going through the one mic preamp... anyway, i think if safety is your purpose, the only option may be the on-board mics in 4 track mode at a lower gain, or using two externals, or both! you can 'unlink' input 1 and 2 and adjust the gain separately with the new firmware:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...e-enables.html
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do - bracket record one mono input on tracks 3 and 4 at different levels for safety. I didn't know about the new firmware - thanks. That's something at least.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio