DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sound Devices 702 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/491119-sound-devices-702-a.html)

John Snyder February 2nd, 2011 01:00 PM

Sound Devices 702

Has anyone used a Sound Devices 702 WITHOUT a mixer (I just need two mics) and does the mixer improve the quality of the SD702. I heard that the preamps on both are about the same.

The flexibility of a mixer would be great but I am mostly concerned with overall quality right now.

Also, any recommendation for a wired mic for this recorder. I have an EV 50 but it is not hot enough.

Thanks

Greg Penetrante February 2nd, 2011 01:23 PM

The SD702 is a great unit. I use it without a mixer if I record 2 channels. It's preamps are excellent and you will have no problems with dynamic mics.

Mixers like the 302 add the ability to input more channels and also add versatility in terms of signal routing.

Best,
Greg

Rick Reineke February 2nd, 2011 01:33 PM

Having a SD mixer as the front-end would be of little advantage unless.. you need to combine multiple mics to a single track. or you just like to carry and/or collect more gear.

"The EV 50 is not hot enough"
For what?
The RE50 "N/DYM" has a slightly hotter output... if a H/H Omni is the type of mic you need?

Jim Andrada February 2nd, 2011 09:23 PM

I use my 702 with and without the 302 in front of it - even though I might be using just two mics the scale on the 302 is a lot easier to see and I've just gotten used to it!

Andrew Dean February 4th, 2011 04:26 PM

The SD mixers have better limiters, i believe. The dual stage magical stuff where it cannot clip. The limiter on the 702 i thought was "harder". Never tested it though.

Anthony Ching February 5th, 2011 12:43 AM

The quality of the mic pre on the SD 7XX recorders are better than SD mixers. Although SD mixers got excellent mic pre already.

Ed Burnett February 9th, 2011 04:26 PM

I have used the 702T without a mixer, while helping out some students with their projects at VFS.

It works fine without it, but the 302 will give you a much wider range of gain/level control, and of course better level meters.

Earlier today I posted some thoughts and comparisons on the 702 recorder here: Phoric Films – Choosing a Field Recorder – Zoom H4n or Sound Devices 702?

Brian McKenna February 9th, 2011 04:38 PM

perfectly fine without a mixer + you can setup and toggle between different monitoring scenarios.
i swapped out one of 2 condenser mics for a dynamic mic recently and it really sounded much better than i expected.

Sophie Bucks February 9th, 2011 05:56 PM

We use a 744 and its the bomb. It has 2 mic in same as 702 plus 2 line in. The pre amps are so clean but someone was right about the limiter. If you are using RMS 2040 or a Sen 416 staright in its hard to imagine you can find anything that sounds better.