Warm sounding handheld reporter's mic? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #16
Inner Circle

No real problem with handling noise on the SM63. Never had an issue. AAMOF the ABC affilaiate here in Chicago uses them and other than hearing the generator from the live truck in the background the sound is clean even when they hold the mic down around their stomachs. I thought professionals knew better than that. ;-)
Old February 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #17
Major Player

The SM63 does have a "bright" sound which works for TV, the only negative on the SM63 is bored reporters at times unscrew the mic breaking the fine wires connected to the XLR connector [a little drop of LOCKTITE on the thread fixes that] :)
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
Gary, could you please toss out a model number for the Beyer that you like?

Thanks in advance.
Its the Beyer M58 that was mentioned above!

That Shure SM63 looks very good value and I may check out one of those myself as my 635a is a bit small for male reporters.

Just noticed whilst trolling around that Beyer do an electret version of the M58 reporter mic, it may be nicer sounding and have more gain:http://www.studiospares.com/mics-oth...1Wb79kAA%3D%3D

Last edited by Gary Nattrass; February 13th, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #19
Trustee

I seem to recall (but this is going back at least 20 years) that EV made a longer version of the 635A. I don't recall the model number off the top of my head but if I find it I'll post the model number for you.

Then again, I may be having a memory malfunction.

-----

UPDATE: I'm pretty sure it was an RE55. I don't know whether that's a current model.

Last edited by Greg Miller; February 13th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Inner Circle

The SM63 comes in 2 sizes. Standard and L for longer. MAke sure that's the one you get. The "standard" is very short and IMO hard to hold because of the length.
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #21
Major Player

I would have to agree that the longer version of the SM63 is better for day to day use especially if you use a network logo block... BUT the short version is ideal at times as it is super light weight and will fit into a pocket, great for a video journalist with compact gear.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #22
Trustee

AudioTechnica has a couple of new dynamic interview mics in their Broadcast & Production Line but I have no experience with them. They are the BP4001 cardioid and BP4002 omni.
If you do want a condenser mic for more gain into weak preamps, the AT8031 is a good choice for a cardioid that can run on either phantom (11-52v) or AA battery. I use the older version of this mic, the ATM31a and like the character of the sound.

Last edited by Jay Massengill; February 15th, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #23
Major Player

Put me in the "ANYTHING but an RE50" camp too! :-) And add another vote for the Sennheiser MD46, or the MD42 if you like the omni pattern. The 46 sounds very "natural" to me and has superb rejection for noisy environments. Doing large broadcast events with "provided" gear has let me listen to hundreds of mics and I keep coming back to this one for interviews.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #24
New Boot

thanks for all the input. the beyerdynamic MCE58 looks interesting, despite the price, but this would be used in controlled environments only. the MD46 seems pretty good too.

i don't suppose anyone knows what the difference between the audio technica at8031 and at8033 are?
Ansel Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #25
Wrangler

My favorite cheap mic for handheld interviews is the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/233750-REG/Rode_NT3_NT3_Microphone.html. It's a hyper-cardioid studio condensor that can run off batteries or 48v phantom. It gives a nice warm sound and to my ear, it captures voices much better than any medium priced shotgun or dynamic mic. To avoid handling noise I use an http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68143-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8415_AT8415_Universal_Shock_Mount.html + http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/529346-REG/Pearstone_GRIP_Universal_Microphone_Hand_Grip.html.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio