Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
I have a DR-07 and I've been quite happy with the performance. I've seen a thorough review on another website, which seems to indicate that the audio quality is surprisingly good.

I just checked the boot-up time on mine, it's under ten seconds with a nearly empty 8GB SDHC card.
Wonderful, that is great to know. I appreciate the information and will consider it as well.

Regards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Reimer View Post
I'll throw in another vote for the Zoom H1. I've used it extensively on a project I've been working on for a couple of months; stand-alone recorder, wired to a sennheiser lav, wired to a sennheiser wireless transmitter, wired inline from the reciever to the camera, etc.

Admittedly, it's my first foray into this type of recording system, but I have been extremely impressed with it's ease of use and high quality audio in some fairly demanding environments. For $99. it does a FAR better job than I'd ever hoped for
Cool, good to know as well. Compared with the DR-07, I like the size, the same mics as the H4N (I believe) and the 96k bit range of recording. I do have a DR-100 and I might pick this little guy just to use a Zoom product (which I haven't done yet).

Thanks much Wayne!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Massengill View Post
I just checked my H4n. Running on battery power and with a half-full non-SDHC 2Gb card in place, it took about 12 seconds to boot up. Another second at least to see for sure it was ready and then hit record two times. Call it 14 seconds for the most part. It might be faster with an empty faster card.

If it's already running, the H4n can be set to have 2 seconds of pre-record buffer.

Back in the old days (2000!) my Deva had 10 seconds of pre-record buffer.
No buffer for the H1 or DR-07 right?

Thanks for the info!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Okay, I have both of these recorders. My use of them is a bit different than yours, but I can give you a bit of an idea.

I originally bought the DR-07 to work with my Sign ENG44 field mixer. I had decided that rather than buy an all in one field recorder, I would just use my field mixer which should have better controls and feed a simple recording unit like the DR-07. It has worked great under those circumstances.

This last year, I went ahead and bought the H1, with a gift card from BH photo.

When I first got the Zoom H1, I didn't really test it figuring that I would use it as back up to my DR-07.

This thread actually forced me to sit down and check the units out as stand alones.

The DR-07 has a lot of menu based controls, is larger, heavier, and feels in comparison to the H1 a lot for durable. The H1 has a kind of plastic feel. The H1 controls are mainly accomplished by slide switch. I like the larger SD cards in the DR-07 too, as the H1 use a micro card.

However, after doing some initial sound tests with the onboard mics today, I found the H1 seemed to have a wider response range, particularly in the lower ranges, as the on board mics seem to provide a better base level. Simply stated, my voice test seemed more pleasing on the H1. I do believe I had all filters off on both units

I am curious if others have had a similar experience.
Well, this is fantastic information because you happen to own both the DR-07 and the H1. Do you see having the controls mainly accomplished by a slide switch to be a positive or a negative?

Would you say the H1 has better on board mics than the DR-07?

Did you test came better with the H1 because you used 96k bit rate?

Thank you Chris!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #17
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vastervik ,Sweden
Posts: 636
I love my H1, only bad thing is the plastic feel... But the sound is good!
About the start up time, if you put a big card in it, you get 12h+ of recording time.... Just press rec and keep it in you pocket recording....
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #18
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 262
Last couple of shoot I've used the DR-07 on standby for about 5 hrs per 2 AA batts, will start recording within 2 seconds and you can always have it in record pause which will give you a few seconds of look-ahead, but shortens battery life to about 4hrs.
Gerry Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #19
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Thank you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Nord View Post
I love my H1, only bad thing is the plastic feel... But the sound is good!
About the start up time, if you put a big card in it, you get 12h+ of recording time.... Just press rec and keep it in you pocket recording....
Good to know Mark,

I just saw a product demo at B&H's website. Does your H1 have a standby more?

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Gallegos View Post
Last couple of shoot I've used the DR-07 on standby for about 5 hrs per 2 AA batts, will start recording within 2 seconds and you can always have it in record pause which will give you a few seconds of look-ahead, but shortens battery life to about 4hrs.
Good thought Gerry,

Is your DR-07 plastic feel like the H1? Or is it rugged like let's say a DR-100 or any rugged device?

Thanks much again!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: canada
Posts: 57
hey Ben,

sounds like a recording buffer is kind of essential for what you are doing.
you might consider renting something to get the job done?
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #21
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: switzerland
Posts: 2,131
the H1 is great but suffer from at least two problems.
plastic case is cracking a lot if you need to manipulate during recording.
dismantling it and sealing any joint with silicone should help.
and it is over sensitive to wind, so forget about walking, running or recording outdoor without some wind protection. I purchased a $35 furs cover, but it is a pity to spend a third of the price of the recorder for such a simple piece of fabric. They should supply it from the start.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:54 PM   #22
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McKenna View Post
hey Ben,

sounds like a recording buffer is kind of essential for what you are doing.
you might consider renting something to get the job done?
Hi Brian,

I appreciate the thought. What happens is this is a 'foley' compilation I am going to be recording over a period of time. From random unexpected sources. Indoor and outdoors. That is why renting wouldn't work for me. But thank you for the recommendation.

Best Regards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
the H1 is great but suffer from at least two problems.
plastic case is cracking a lot if you need to manipulate during recording.
dismantling it and sealing any joint with silicone should help.
and it is over sensitive to wind, so forget about walking, running or recording outdoor without some wind protection. I purchased a $35 furs cover, but it is a pity to spend a third of the price of the recorder for such a simple piece of fabric. They should supply it from the start.
Hi Giroud,

Well, I also read about the H2 and even though is a but more expensive, it has the same plastic feel issue it seems.
Also reading about the H1, most people complained about the plastic built and that kind of if leading me towards the DR-07. I like the size on the H1 and that one big rec button in the middle to start and stop. But the sturdiness of the DR-07, its buffer feature, line out and AA batteries sold it to me.

Thank you very much to you and all for your very valuable input!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM   #23
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Angelo Texas
Posts: 1,510
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
This last year, I went ahead and bought the H1, with a gift card from BH photo.

When I first got the Zoom H1, I didn't really test it figuring that I would use it as back up to my DR-07.

This thread actually forced me to sit down and check the units out as stand alones.


However, after doing some initial sound tests with the onboard mics today, I found the H1 seemed to have a wider response range, particularly in the lower ranges, as the on board mics seem to provide a better base level. Simply stated, my voice test seemed more pleasing on the H1. I do believe I had all filters off on both units

I am curious if others have had a similar experience.
I have an H1, been using the H2 but the H1 is a lot simpler to use, basically one button starts and stops your recording so no more trying to remember the postion of the two different buttons you have to use on the H2 (I had one sound guy get confused and had the H2 in standby during takes and recording in between takes...Sheesh!).

I, too, am amazed at the performance of the onboard mics but there is one area of concern. For outdoor use you better not have any breeze. Any air current going across those mics generate horrible noise, so I ordered a furry windmuff for it from thewindcutter.com.

The H1 was so new they didn't have anything so they made one up, filled my order, and due to the extreme sensitivity of the H1 mics it didn't really do the job. They took my feedback and began sending me prototypes to test (which I did gladly because I wanted a good solution). The fourth prototype led to the version being marketed now and the link below is my test in about 30MPH West Texas winds:


The "WindJacket" for the ZoomH1 is an improved version of what I had in the video, runs $69.95 (they've set up a "coupon" for me to post in these forums good through the end of Feb 2011. Enter "10OFFNOW" for a $10 off which brings it down to $59.95 with free shipping).

I have no financial interest, get no commissions, and even paid for the one I ordered. I just wanted something that worked and this works as well or better than anything short of a "blimp".

TheWindCutter.com, Professional Microphone Windscreens
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:36 PM   #24
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: switzerland
Posts: 2,131
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

i do not know about the tascam DR-08, but it seems to have the same form factor and features than the H1 for almost same price, so if the case is better, could be a nice upgrade.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I have an H1, been using the H2 but the H1 is a lot simpler to use, basically one button starts and stops your recording so no more trying to remember the postion of the two different buttons you have to use on the H2 (I had one sound guy get confused and had the H2 in standby during takes and recording in between takes...Sheesh!).

I, too, am amazed at the performance of the onboard mics but there is one area of concern. For outdoor use you better not have any breeze. Any air current going across those mics generate horrible noise, so I ordered a furry windmuff for it from thewindcutter.com.

The H1 was so new they didn't have anything so they made one up, filled my order, and due to the extreme sensitivity of the H1 mics it didn't really do the job. They took my feedback and began sending me prototypes to test (which I did gladly because I wanted a good solution). The fourth prototype led to the version being marketed now and the link below is my test in about 30MPH West Texas winds:

Wind Jacket for the ZoomH1 on Vimeo

The "WindJacket" for the ZoomH1 is an improved version of what I had in the video, runs $69.95 (they've set up a "coupon" for me to post in these forums good through the end of Feb 2011. Enter "10OFFNOW" for a $10 off which brings it down to $59.95 with free shipping).

I have no financial interest, get no commissions, and even paid for the one I ordered. I just wanted something that worked and this works as well or better than anything short of a "blimp".

TheWindCutter.com, Professional Microphone Windscreens
Hi Bruce,

It's been a couple weeks but I just wanted to thank you for this very nice answer. It was very helpful for me and probably for everyone...

Thanks very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
i do not know about the tascam DR-08, but it seems to have the same form factor and features than the H1 for almost same price, so if the case is better, could be a nice upgrade.

Thanks for you thought Giroud!!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #26
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Springfield, Missouri
Posts: 117
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

I LOVE my DR-07. In fact, after using it for so long, I turned a friend of mine onto it and he bought one too.

Here's a boom rig I made for it. It's a Bogen monopod that I've modified to have 1/4" tripod bolts on both ends. I put the mic on one end, and I put an old Bogen video head at the other end so I could attached the recorder, which has a tripod socket on the back. Completely self-contained; just add headphones.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1339862_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5170369_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8254118_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4268607_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...2_879565_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1947294_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...4_390258_n.jpg
__________________
"Your world is all these elements; of light and sound, of taste, smell, and touch. Woven together in many dimensions on the fabulous loom of your brain. Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew...without even thinking about it."
Kent Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #27
Major Player
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hartford, VT
Posts: 201
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Frost View Post
I LOVE my DR-07. In fact, after using it for so long, I turned a friend of mine onto it and he bought one too.

Here's a boom rig I made for it. It's a Bogen monopod that I've modified to have 1/4" tripod bolts on both ends. I put the mic on one end, and I put an old Bogen video head at the other end so I could attached the recorder, which has a tripod socket on the back. Completely self-contained; just add headphones.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1339862_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5170369_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8254118_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4268607_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...2_879565_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1947294_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...4_390258_n.jpg

Hey Kent: Nice job!!

Yes, I will go with the DR-07 because if the sturdy built, the line out and the recording buffer.

Have a great weekend
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #28
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KLD, South Africa
Posts: 983
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

Tascam DR-03 now selling for $60 at B&H.
BH (Links)
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #29
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Napoli, Italy
Posts: 41
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

I get the ZOOM H1 (brand new sealed) on Ebay. The item is 120684936234. Actually 3 available. Send an offer of 85US$ and will be accepted with free shipping ;-).
I confirm the above reviews: absolutely great sound, cheap plastic and high handling noise. I think is not intended for ENG interview or similar.
Antonio Ricca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #30
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Burlington
Posts: 1,961
Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

Anybody tried out the new DR-05 yet?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network