Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 11th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: Portable recorder for 100 bucks or less (for unexpected foley)

Thanks Jay I had been looking at this post as I sold my sony D50 a few months ago and was looking for a lower cost unit just to have one in my camera bag. The DR-05 looks a very nice new machine and I will check it out once it is released as it looks more robust than the H1 but has better button layout than the DR-03. I also like the mic/line input on the top and the fact that there are minimal controls to be accidentaly knocked.

http://tascam.com/product/dr-05/specifications/
Old March 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #32
Regular Crew

The H1 is great, but the battery life on it is terrible. It takes one AA battery, and in no time the H1 drains all the juice from it.
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
Tascam DR-03 now selling for $60 at B&H.
Tascam DR-03 Portable Digital Audio Recorder DR-03 B&H Photo
Well, I just ordered one. I don't know why, but I have a strange addiction to these little hand recorders.

I must say I find one thing rather humorous about the DR-03. It has a "stealth" recording mode whereby the backlight and "recording" LED are turned off. Yet the case has a bright orange band the whole way around, which makes it highly visible, lights or no! For true "stealth" use it should come with a can of flat black paint.

On a serious note, I regret to report that B&H has an arcane, confusing, and dysfunctional ordering process. I have a PO Box which I use for all mail, including my credit card accounts. But of course UPS can't deliver there, so I need to use a physical street address. B&H won't let me use separate addresses with my PayPal account. Whatever I enter as the PayPal shipping address shows up as shipping and billing address on B&H. But the card company won't confirm the payment because the physical address is not the mailing address on my credit card account. Every time I tried to change one of these addresses on the B&H site, it ported me back to PayPal. After logging into PayPal four times, changing things, and being ported back to B&H where the wrong field had been changed, I just gave up and specified USPS shipping to my PO Box (so now it will either be late or lost).
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #34
Trustee

I just saw a picture of the DR-07MkII. It looks very similar to the new DR-05 but a little more advanced. Street price for pre-ordering was $150 versus the $100 for the already available DR-05.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #35
Trustee

Zoom just brought out the Q3HD that also records HD video!
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #36
Trustee

That has been out here (USA) for at least a month. I got ripped to shreds for mentioning it in the audio forum on another website. Personally, I think it looks rather interesting... perhaps as a POV cam inside a wedding cake, or wherever.

Zoom's audio recorders aren't bad, so hopefully this has better audio than the Flip, Kodak, or other similar hand-size video cams.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio