DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode Video Mic VM Camera Microphone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/491702-rode-video-mic-vm-camera-microphone.html)

Craig Snedeker February 13th, 2011 03:02 PM

Rode Video Mic VM Camera Microphone

Anyone know how well this mic records?

Rode Video Mic VM Camera Microphone VideoMic - eBay (item 140511473438 end time Mar-13-11 21:29:51 PDT)

I'm not looking for a super professional product but I'd like something cheap (this is) and something with good quality.

Stan Harkleroad February 13th, 2011 03:18 PM

It depends on what you're looking to record. If you try to record music or far off sounds you'll think the mic sucks. For voice work close to the performer the Rode VM is an excellent choice. So if you are doing interviews or speech you'll be pleased.

Craig Snedeker February 13th, 2011 03:24 PM

Mostly up close work, like interviews and films. Thanks :)

Steve House February 13th, 2011 04:10 PM

The VN is a decent consumer-grade mic, usually signifigantly better than the built-in mic, but realize that NO microphone does particularly well when mounted on the camera except in rare situations. Mics, even shotgun mics, work best when relatively close to the subject, much closer than where the typical camera position would be whether you are shooting an interview or a dramatic scene. When Stan said "up close" he was talking about 18 to 22 inches away from the subject, much too close for the camera in most shots.

Craig Snedeker February 13th, 2011 05:11 PM

True, but also by interviews, I meant in the field interviews, like at events and such, where having a boom poll isn't ideal.

Graham Bernard February 14th, 2011 02:41 AM

If you aren't going down the separate audio recording device, here's my take on this for recording on to a camera:

A] Using a shotgun camera mounted on camera will not be pointing at the mouth. It works but as any "other" sound becomes prominent then the shottie, if it is in line-of-sight, will also be picked up. It works but with those caveats. Actually I've always thought that a mic, under these circumstances, should be mounted under the camera and pointing upwards to the mouth of the interviewee.

. . so . . .

B] Hold a shottie in a hand held device and point this up at the mouth. What this does is get the audio to line-of-sight and the body of the speaker will go a long way to shield any other sound.

. . or . .

C] Have a Reporter's mic.

B] and C] requires you EITHER have the camera on a tripod OR use an interviewer to hold the mic.

I've used all the approaches above.

That's my 2 pennies worth.

Grazie

Craig Snedeker February 14th, 2011 07:04 AM

Thanks for the advice! I was just thinking a Lave mic would be a good purchase to.