RODE Lavalier Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #1
New Boot

RODE Lavalier Review

I just posted some thoughts on the new RODE Lav mic at my blog: Phoric Films – Review of the RODE Lavalier

I was inspired by Chad Johnson's excellent (and superior) comparison of the RODE Lav against the Saken COS11D, Sennheiser ME-2, and Tram TR50, and decided to do a quick informal video of my own, additionally comparing it to the Audio-Technica AT899.

Ed Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Trustee

In my sound editing suite, listening in controlled circumstances in an accoustically treated studio, monitoring on Mackie 824s in a nearfield arrangement - all three are similar sounding - which is to say they sound like moderatly priced, prosumer mics. I will note that the Sennheiser capsule has a AUDIBLY more open upper mid range and top end so it would get my vote if I was forced to rely on one of these.

But sorry, none of them would earn a permanent place in my working kit.

FWIW.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Your preferred lav mic, then?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Does anyone know why this is not available - I thought it was released a few weeks ago. I can't find this in stock.
I do like the connector solutions here.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Your preferred lav mic, then?
Was this directed towards me or Bill?

In any case, out of the three types I currently have available, I'd have to say the RODE. I've been listening to a number of different samples on different real-world systems, from PC speakers, my TV, my KRK Rokit 5's, and my MDR-7506's. The ME-2 simply has way too much self-noise, and sounds much too "tinny" for my tastes. The AT899 is somewhere in between. The connector system puts RODE out on top IMHO. Of course individual tastes and financial accessibility vary and there is nothing wrong with that.

Keep in mind what you hear in the video is straight from the recorder, no equalization or anything else done besides minor level adjustments. I'm not sure what processes Vimeo performs when you upload a video... but it's possible they apply some sort of additional compression routine which may have some effect on quality.

Of course if you want to hear it up against the Tram TR50 and Sanken COS11D, then head on over to Chad's review: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ennheiser.html

I'd love to listen to some direct comparisons with some of Bill's preferred gear so us poor lowly mortals can hear the difference. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Braeley View Post
Does anyone know why this is not available - I thought it was released a few weeks ago. I can't find this in stock.
I do like the connector solutions here.
They must have sold more than expected and ran out of their initial stock. Looks like B&H expects them in March? If you're on Twitter, maybe shoot a message to @rodemicrophones and see what they say.

Last edited by Ed Burnett; February 18th, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Ed Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

@ Bill, it was.

Quote:
But sorry, none of them would earn a permanent place in my working kit.
Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Right on Ed!

Nice work. I like the visuals of the wave forms for each mic. Nice touch.

The Rode didn't sound as good in this test as I have heard it sound. It sounded closed, (as apposed to open) like the high EQ was turned down, and also boxy as if you were in a tight space like a car. Did you have some surface close to you that the sound was bouncing off of? The other two sounded too thin for my taste, with the ME-2 being the worst. It sounded the noisiest.
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
Right on Ed!

Nice work. I like the visuals of the wave forms for each mic. Nice touch.

The Rode didn't sound as good in this test as I have heard it sound. It sounded closed, (as apposed to open) like the high EQ was turned down, and also boxy as if you were in a tight space like a car. Did you have some surface close to you that the sound was bouncing off of? The other two sounded too thin for my taste, with the ME-2 being the worst. It sounded the noisiest.
Thanks Chad!

You are most likely hearing the bounce from my bedroom ceiling or wall. I don't have access to a treated room at the moment, so my test should be considered quite informal compared to your own.
Ed Burnett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio