DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need advice on connecting a ProHD Cam, D7000 & Backup Recorder to a SD-302 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/492020-need-advice-connecting-prohd-cam-d7000-backup-recorder-sd-302-a.html)

Steve J. Nordahl February 20th, 2011 01:46 PM

Need advice on connecting a ProHD Cam, D7000 & Backup Recorder to a SD-302

Hi all,

Here is my question...

I currently use a JVC GY-HM700U ProHD Cam fed with line level from a Sound Devices 302 field mixer. I also do line level backup audio to an EdirolR-09HR. My mic is a Rode NT4 inside a Rode Blimp. Everything works great as is.

Now, I'm thinking of purchasing a Nikon D7000 and I would like to tether feed the audio from the SD302/NT4 source via the stereo mini plug on the D7000. I already know that the D7000 will not take line level so I will have to adjust the levels in some way from the SD302.

How do I configure the cabling and the SD302 to handle this and keep everything on line (ProHD, D7000, & the Backup Recorder)?

I'm a bit concerned the 302 is maxed out at this point, and I think all the channels are used up on the 302.

I will be grateful in advance for any suggestions or shared thoughts.

Steve
Bethlehem, pa.

Battle Vaughan February 20th, 2011 02:19 PM

I will be flamed for this, and it might not work, but could you take the headphone output signal from the Edirol and run it into the D7000? Both, I think, are 1/8 inch stereo plugs so there is abundant standard cable to handle this and you wouldn't take a chance on interfering with the output on the mixer....you don't, probably, want to piggyback two inputs to one output on the mixer, which sounds like what you are describing.....

Steve House February 21st, 2011 08:23 AM

Re: Need advice on connecting a ProHD Cam, D7000 & Backup Recorder to a SD-302

Consider upgrading the 302 to a used 442. The 442 has multiple main outputs, individually switchable between mic and line level, plus a -10 consumer line level Tape Out. One set of main outs, set to line level, would drive the JVC. A second set of main outs, set to mic level, would drive the D7000. The Tape Out would drive the Edirol.

Jay Massengill February 21st, 2011 09:58 AM

I think you could have a custom Y cable made in one of two types:

TA-3 to dual 1/8-inch mini-male stereo connectors, one of which would be attenuated to mic level for the Nikon and the other would remain at line level to feed your backup audio recorder.

Or

Female stereo 1/8-inch mini to dual 1/8-inch mini-male stereo connectors, one of which would be attenuated to mic level for the Nikon and the other would remain at line level to feed your backup audio recorder. This could simply connect to the TA-3 to mini cable you may already be using to feed your backup audio recorder, but the connection would not be as durable as the cable above that is directly Y'd from the TA-3 mixer output.

You could also use an XLR adapter (JuicedLink, BeachTek or other) on your Nikon and two XLR Y cables from the XLR line output of your 302 to feed the JVC and the XLR adapter on the Nikon.

As Steve said, a mixer with more discrete outputs would be best but expensive.

Battle Vaughan February 26th, 2011 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See my earlier message----

OK, it's not as elegant and professonal a solution as the others have wisely proposed, but in a pinch and for an outlay of $3.00 you might try it.

Since my last message I bought a D7000, so I hooked it up to my Edirol R09 earphone outlet --- volume 15--- d7000 on auto levels ----played a music wav file into it --- and it worked...! Caveats: There is a noticible hiss in silent passages. There seems to be a "twichiness" to the mike jack on the d7000, at least my sample; don't wiggle the wire or the sound drops out....also, there seems to be a 7 second delay after starting the recording before the audio kicks in...may be just my camera that does this...

I come from a news background, where daisy-chaining audio is a common practice in pool situations --- I've done the "pa-feed to a betacam-to-a vtr -to -my -camera" hookup kind of thing, and there it's get audio of any kind by any means necessary. So I am more pragmatic than purist in this....

I also recorded directly into the D7000 with a dynamic mike -- Audio Technica ATM410, similar to SM58 and other handheld performance mikes --- worked pretty well. Next purchase: Sennheiser MKE400 minishotgun...

I'm attaching a brief clip which had only a simple noise reduction in Soundbooth; the hiss at -36 db is now -54 db; hiss from the edirol output amp, I think. YMMV. (Fair use: brief audio sample for technical purposes only)

Steve J. Nordahl March 9th, 2011 05:39 PM

Hi guys...

Steve, Jay, & Battle, sorry for the late reply to your posts. I've been kinda busy lately.

All interesting solutions... I'm going to try each and see how the results turn out. I've ordered a high quality 25' foot stereo to stereo cable and once that comes I will see.

Again thanks for the posts. I will let you all know how I made out..

Steve